Pompholyx The Joy of Popping Blisters!

Posted , 28 users are following.

My name is Alison, i'm 46 years and have had acute pompholyx all over both hands for 18 months, following a period of severe stress and anxiety. I POP BLISTERS! I disagree with pretty much everything i have been told by various dermatology consultants who have clearly never suffered from this aggravating condition. I have never had an infection from the popped the blisters despite being told time and time again that i would. When a blister pops - a little itch dies. And i defy anyone who wakes up in the morning with a hand like itching bubble wrap, not to pop a few! Especially when you feel the pop from the outside, AND from the inside - from the depths of your finger. It is this factor that makes me believe that pompholyx is not caused by allergens or anthing attacking the skin barrier. the blisters grow from deep inside - sometimes at the beginning i find the itch is is so far down i can't locate it on the outside skin, until it comes up as a blister. This is stuff trying to get out, not stuff attacking the surface. I've also been told that the stuff inside the blisters is the same as a normal skin blister. I disagree with this too - has anyone actually looked at the 2 fluids under a microscope?? Normal blisters don't itch, the fluid inside them is not sticky, and they do not have the characteristic little brown dot in the centre. They also do not develop into cluster blisters - which are like a little honeycomb of internal blisters. I am desperate for dermatoligists everywhere to stop treating pompholy like ecxzema!! I am desperate for people to start talking openly about living with this condition, and i was desperate to get that off my chest!!

best wishes and happy popping!

3 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Can't beieve I found all this. I have only been suffering for a coule of weeks, but oh, have I suffered. I stopped popping blisters as I was afraid I was making the situation worse. I don't understand where it has cone from - I am 65 and have never had eczema or any alegires in my life. Now using cream supplied - itching isn't too bad but they are spreading all over the hands - is this because I popped!??

• Posted

I'm so relieved somebody else feels this way! I have never actually been diagnosed with dyshidrotic eczema but I know I have it. Unfortunately I don't have insurance to go to the doctor or I would have been already. I have tried everything and I do mean everything in An attempt to treat this. I have popped the blisters and quite frankly it feels good. But I stopped only because there were so many of them I didn't Have that much time. The fluid inside is clear, and is not sticky, it's almost like water. The itch is very deep and constant. So deep it's almost as if the inside of the bones itch...nothing helps. It really is miserable. Luckily it affects my right hand more than my left. My right palm and fingers are covered in these things while my left hand only gets a few blisters.

I have always chewed my nails which actually worked out with this condition because it kept me from doing any more damage to my skin then needed. So when this flares up I find myself rubbing my palms on things, usually my jeans or something with some texture to keep from actually scratching. One night about 7 years I woke up from a dead sleep scraping my left hand on my mattress. I had rubbed my finger so hard for so long it was bleeding. I got up, cleaned it, bandages it, and babied it for a couple days...I thought it was a spider bite. My entire finger was swollen, blistered and purple. I couldn't bend it. It burned, itched, was very sore, surrounding joints and fingers were inflammed. I had a bright red streak going up my arm. It never got any worse so I treated it at home due to no insurance. Finally a couple weeks later it started healing. It dried up, the skin got very hard and normal colored but it was numb until the hard skin peeled off and left a scar. I found out just recently that that particular incident was caused by herpes. Hand herpes. I think I have contracted it by popping blisters caused by my eczema. I have been told it's caused by manicures, which I've never had, nor have I had my nails done..my nail beds are too small. It could admittingly also be cause by nail biting but I'm not so sure because I've never even had a cold sore in my life.

Doctors say eczema is caused by allergies, which I have none...but still I get these itchy fluid-filled blisters on my hands driving me nuts, then my hand herpes decides to jump in and completely cripple me for a couple weeks...I too really wish somebody could do something...nothing helps I am ready to pull my hair out!

• Posted

I found a cure!!!!

I have suffered with these blisters on my feet for almost two decades. I discovered that popping the blisters gives immediate relief. I scratch until I bleed and I know better because I am a nurse but we all know how insidious this itch is.... I run boiling hot water over my feet for relief. I pop the blisters with needles. I have used all the creams medicated or not I buff and scrub my feet until I can no longer take another layer off.

Sound familiar?

I only own good quality leather shoes but they always stink within a week. I can literally run my animals out of the room with my smelly feet!

I have tried every type of sock out there....

Then despite my feet always being super hot and sweaty and living in Florida....

I paid $30 for a pair of smartwool socks.....

And OMG.... I was cured overnight!!!!!!

My feet didn't stink after a 12 hour shift. NOT ONE BIT!!!

After two weeks my feet look like they did 20 years ago!

I could exfoliate for an hour a day for a straight month and my feet wouldn't look as good as they do now!!!!

All I did was wear 100% wool socks.

I don't know if this is really a cure or permanent but I do know my feet have healed in less than a week and look the best that I can ever remember. The pitting is gone, the blisters are subsiding and the dry flakiness has disappeared! And best of all the fu*king itch is GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Hi

I started to suffer from ezema blisters in my mid 40's. I have no idea how I became a victim. Since there are so many varieties of this unknown Problem, I have been researching it for some time. I agree with you and do pop my blisters that seem to surface on my feet, soles, and the sides of my feet. I think the blisters I do feel the itch from are on nerve endings. They seem to be the most aggressive ich. Sometimes I feel no itch and find a large blister anyway. I usually will drain Them, put alcohol and peroxide on the infected area. When they drain out and dry, I will use a cortisone cream used over the counter to help heal the spot. I have never had one infected. Almost always the site will heal in a matter of days. If left to the doctors, the healing process can take weeks or months to go away and can itch beyond unbelievable. So many forms of this occur ancestors not all people will react the same. I have not experienced the Truman on the hands, but this is what I do for the feet. Using cotton lined gloves for cleanning and taking showers with flip flops also can eliminate occurrences. I find that hot water agrivates my condition and makes it worse. Cold compresses seem to do the trick.

Good luck all with this undiagnosed medical issue.

• Posted

Hi!  I also have pompholyx and am a 'blister popper'.  It started about 10 years ago, 6 tiny little blisters right in the middle of my foot, which made me want to rip my foot off.  I went to the GP who advised me I had 'minging feet' and gave me some cream.  Further digging found that I suffered from pompholyx and at one point both of my feet were covered, followed by my fingers.  I tend to suffer in the summer when my feet are particularly warm, or if I've had my boots on for a while - for example tonight, I've finished a 6 hour shift at work, come home and found a massive blister between my toes.  Popped it and the relief was instant, followed by a good glug of hydrocortisone.  It comes and goes, sometimes I suffer more than others.  I had a 4 year gap where I didn't get as much as an itch or a blister, but some years it's been back with a vengenance.  I'd love to know when they find a cure for it!

• Edited

I am with u all the way. I really kinda enjoy popping them. just to let you know I have been using peroxide after I pop them and colloidal silver spray 3 times a day it really help clear it up. but once I think it is all gone they come back. anyway glad I am not the only strange person popping them and liking it. lol

• Posted

I have had the condition for 30 odd years. Yes popping at the beginning I remember no problem

although continuing popping between the finger did . I have found triggers over the years . Athletes foot infection, once I cured that between the toes the blisters stopped between the fingers ! I also didnt know I had an infection between the back teeth in the gums this was also a trigger. Another one was a nail infection. Antibiotics stirred things up every time.

I always thought it was something inside me and I could feel an attack at the start of the blisters. I also became sensitive to drinking tap water.

Now heres my good news which my Doctor calls interesting. I found out the bugs which are linked to the immune system in the gut are fed and kept happy with fibre from food . I really upped my fibre intake I made sure I have no infections I have now been clear for 4 months a record and feel totally different.

This is my first post so I hope a little of this helps.

• Posted

Hi all,

Interesting to read this thread. I've had pompholyx for about 35 years (almost all of my life). My maternal grandfather had it, so it appears to have been an inherited condition for me. I am also a blister-popper and it's the only way I can get any relief (I also quite enjoy the popping). I've tried many creams, lotions and potions over the years, none of which ever helped, and now I just do nothing but live with it. There are no known triggers for me, I simply seem to be on a permanent loop of itch-blister-pop-crust-heal-repeat, with no let-up.

Anyway, I came here to say that I underwent a course of chemotherapy about a year ago and the pompholyx completely and utterly cleared up. I have never seen the skin on my hands and fingers look so healthy and normal. After I finished my chemotherapy, the pompholyx came back. I am 100% sure that it was the chemotherapy drug that cured it (albeit temporarily), which reinforces in my mind that my pompholyx comes from within, rather than being caused by external factors. The chemotherapy drug was called Cisplatin. This information is probably not of any particular use to anyone here, but I'm noting it as a point of interest in case anyone does any research in the future and stumbles across this thread.

• Posted

Interesting! Mine cleared up temporarily when I had COVID. I guess that might have been due to change in diet (I struggled to eat through the worst of it)

• Posted

I tried a diet called intermittent fasting to lose weight. when i did this, i noticed my dyshidrotic eczema, and even non-dyshidrotic eczema went away completely. diet is DEFINITELY a factor. my IF diet went like this:

--> i only ate from 2pm-6pm each day (i did the four hour window of the IF diet, there are different feeding windows you can do )

--> i cut out most (not all) "processed" foods, including bread. my diet consisted mainly of rice, veggies, fruit, and meat. i only drank water, black coffee. i would eat cheese and crackers if i was craving something "unhealthy"

--> due to my allergies i didn't eat these foods: all nuts, shellfish, eggplant, and mushroom.

my eczema probably went away because i wasn't eating as much processed foods, but IF has also been proven to reduce inflammation in the body, and eczema is an inflammatory condition. do what you will with that information. when i started eating unhealthy again, the eczema came back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.