Pool exercises

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm 7 weks today.  I've been using stationary bike and leg press at gym, plus walking and doing various stretching and strengthening exercises.  One thing I've not done is the pool.  For those of you who are using the pool, what exercises are you doing that sem effective?

Thanks!

Kelly

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm almost 3 weeks post op. Can I ask how soon did you start on stationary bike. Got clips and stitches out yesterday. Thanks

• Posted

What is the recommendation of your doctor or physical therapist?  I started at 3 weeks with their blessing as I was able to do a full revolution at that time. It's important that you do it correctly with your leg fully extended on the pedal. 

• Posted

If I recall correctly, I started week 4.  My only stiches were beneath the skin, so that wasn't a problem, but my knee was very swollen because I'd had a blood clot and haven't been able to take anti-inflammatoryies.

What I did was to raise the seat quite high so as to allow the knee to bend but not too severely.  I then sat on the bike and moved the pedal up ever so slowly until it became too painful. The first time I was on it, I didn't control the pedals and came up too high and quickly; it felt like I was about to tear my leg off because I couldn't control the pedals with my tkr leg. I learned quickly to use my non-TRK leg to control the speed and level of the pedals.  

Even if you don't come over the top, moving the pedal up to this height 10 times or so is a good stretching exercise.

Once you go over the top once, you should be able to do it again afterward and for many times.  But every time you start on the bike, start slowly and control the pedals with your good leg.  As it gets easier to pedal after several days of using the bike, move the seat down a notch and ease into it the way you did with the previous level.

I'm doing it only 10 minutes a day because my friend lent me his bike, which is old and apparently is stuck on medium resistance, so I tire after 10 minutes.  I can go much longer on the one at my gym.

Keep in mind that your leg is weak, so don't be surprised if youyou have little endurance and your leg muscles are sore the next day.  But it's a good kind of sore because it means you're strengthening your leg.

Hope that helps.

Kelly

• Posted

Hi Kelly. I am approaching 7 weeks post op and just got permission to use the pool last week.  I use the walk-in stairs to do a good stretch in the water before starting (knee bends and extension).  I walk in the pool, do high knee raises, do side stepping across the pool, hang on to the side or use a pool noodle to sit on while doing the bicycle move with my legs. I also swim laps with the regular crawl-stroke kick. I was told not to do the frogs style side kicking quite yet. Simply treading water is also great movement. I would caution you to start slow,with the water as you don't realize if you've overdone it while you're in there because it feels so good to have such a great range of motion in the water. Happy swimming!

• Posted

Hi Kelly, I am 11 weeks and have been doing the pool for some weeks - I stopped the ordinary PT because that was quite frankly not doing a lot, and I do all the exercises at home.  Hydro is a delight, and has improved my bend and mobility enormously (have to say that as I have been going backwards in the bending due to overdoing ordinary life and being on my feet, it was very welcome this week so I feel back on track, even if I have lost some degrees).  I worked with a therapist for about 10 sessions, and now have a list and pictures and reps etc., the most important thing seems to be using equipment - leg raises and presses with water weights on the ankle, step ups and down, steps over, masses of bending - both heel behind and knee up.

Hope that helps, if nothing else, the pool is less painful!

keep well

Susie

• Posted

That's great I'm into 6months now will start soon in the pool. But bike, excerise, walk and build muscle strength is all good all the best.

We are on our way.

• Posted

wow, I started PT the very next day after TKR for 3 days a week for 3 months, and it was awful. but it was good also, at night I would use a stationary bike and treadmill, and so stretches.I also used a CPM machine for the 1 st 2 weeks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.