Pooped Out

Posted , 1 user is following.

hello i am ruth and new to this forum. I've read previous discussions and hoping to get badly needed support for a life long issue with my sluggish bowels.

was diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) with constipation years ago. i have followed my physicians instructions, throughout the years and nothing has worked until i was put on Nortripyline.

before being prescribed Nortripyline i was prescribed, Cymbalta for chronic pain and depression. so taking the two meds together, my bowels for the first time in decades were finally functioning the way they always should have functioned, normal!

i had a bowel movement daily. i was healed and greatful! no more worrying about constipation and the anxiety discomfort and pain that came with IBS.

i believe that the negative psychological effects of chronic constipationwas devastating to my peace of mind and effected my career and relationships.

these two medications, cymbalta and nortripyline were the cure for me. For 10 years i was constipation free!

However, having normal functioning bowels didn't last. Recently, a pharmacist informed my Primary Care Physician that the medications, Cymbalta and Nortripyline, when taking together caused serotonin syndrome and was dangerous. so even though i was prescribed both medications, i didn't feel like it was impacting my heath and well being.

in fact taking both medications together gave me a better quality of life.

so now i am back to square one. however, instead of getting impacted from hard stools my bowels are soft and mushy. i cannot empty my bowels. i strain and push ending up with

large amounts of soft mushy poop outside of my rectum. this leaves me to wipe large amounts of poop off the area outside my rectum. the clean up is extensive and so worrisome.

my anxiety is back and once again i am full of frustration.

there has to be a solution to my IBS. i thought i had hit the lottery with these two miracle drugs prescribed. Cymbalta for chronic pain and Nortripyline for IBS w/ constipation.

i am still prescribed Nortripyline for constipation, but taking it alone without Cymbalta does not work! thank you so much for reading this. i am hoping and would appreciate any feedback and support. thank you.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.