Poor sleep - will I ever get a decent night’s sleep?

Posted , 8 users are following.

6 weeks post op and on average i am getting 2 hours sleep followed sometimes with bits of dozing. I try not to nap during the day. Poor sleep is making me feel low and lacking in energy although I am still completing my daily exercises and trying to get out and walk each day. I dont start physio until 3 July. I am not in pain and still sleeping on my back although I can now lie on operated side for short periods. I dont know why i am having such poor sleep at this stage. Does anyone else have the same problem?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi. if you've been taking codeine for any period of time and now stopped it you can get withdrawal symptoms of sleepless ness. I'd been taking it since Jan this year and stopped it over a week ago. had 4 nights of really bad sleeping bug its now settled. if it is this that's causing your problem hive it time it will settle. I managed to nap in the daytime so I increased my total sleep for that day . I also made sure I had a hot drink and supper before I went to bed which seemed to help. good luck 😃

• Posted

Hi,

Lack of sleep seems to be a common problem post op. I was exactly the same as you, I could sleep for two hours then would be awake the rest of the night. For me this lasted 8 weeks and 3 days precisely, then one morning I woke up and thought wow Ive slept all night!

Dont worry it will get better.

Charles

• Posted

Hi,

Lack of sleep seems to be a common problem post op. I was exactly the same as you, I could sleep for two hours then would be awake the rest of the night. For me this lasted 8 weeks and 3 days precisely, then one morning I woke up and thought wow Ive slept all night!

Charles

• Posted

Hi,

Charles

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your sleep problem . I wonder why you are having physio as walking well is generally all that you need to do along with your exercises. Just carry on walking concentrating on doing it with a good strong gait with BOTH CRUTCHES and you will

suddenly realise that you can do without them! This will be your fastest road to full recovery and it will protect your back too. Good luck. Richard

• Posted

Jillie001: My hip replacement was 2 years and 3 months ago. I'm happy to report that everything, I feel, went fantastic! I came along well in all aspects with the exception of being able to sleep. It was like I could not get comfortable or something that was hard to put my finger on. I wish I had kept a journal so I could say with certainty how long this went on. Much longer than I would have expected considering how well I did in all other areas. Just know that it finally does go away. Even though I did so well, looking back now, I can see that it took about a year to really feel like I was back to "normal". Hang in there!

• Posted

hi jillie

i sympathise but it does get better. i used to nap whenever i could and when you go to bed and cant sleep audio books are brill for bringing sleep on although you nay never get yo the end.

it does tske time to get bsck to normal sleep patterns but yiu will get there

i fot so used to sleeping on my bsck i still do now most of the time. excuse bad soelling not fot my glasses on!

• Posted

Thanks for your replies. It seems to be a common problem. This is my second hip replacement ( left one done 8 years ago). I dont remember this problem then. I'm so looking forward to the time when some better sleep comes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.