POP at 23, no pregnancies - HELP!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, apologies in advance for the long post, but hopefully you’ll understand once I get to the end ??

At 21, I was diagnosed with a slight uterine prolapse after noticing ‘the bulge’ and tampons slowly making their way out. Went to see a consultant, who deemed me an ‘interesting case’ (never good) due to my age, fitness and not having had any children. He did mention that there was potential that my ligaments may have slackened due to long term progesterone implant use may have been a factor in this, but my research hasn’t really given me an answer. 

Since then, it’s not really gotten much worse, although as a worrier, I think it has.  Round 2 with consultant ended with me getting a pessary, which has been a god send for me considering I do high impact sport/gymming.  He said I don’t need to wear it unless I’m doing these activities, but none of my concerns were really addressed. Obviously surgery isn’t an option. 

I’ve found this all very difficult mentally, as it’s become apparent to me that I seem to be quite rare, and so support networks are few and far between unless you’ve had children, so I have no one to talk to about this.

My boyfriend is the most Understanding and supportive person, and ensures me that he doesn’t feel any difference, but that doesn’t stop the niggle in my head that says it does and I feel it’s had a massive effect on my confidence. 

So basically, if anyone has any advice (brutally honest is welcomed) about living with POP, and how they’ve managed/lived with it, I would greatly appreciate it. As I said, I’m 23 and very active. I know gymming won’t make it any better, but I also don’t want to give up my life in order to save my internal organs 🙄! I’m worried about pregnancy (no plans of that as yet) and whether my body will react more like a second pregnancy if that makes sense?! 

Thanks for anyone who takes the time to read, and hopefully respond. It’s been therapeutic just writing this!! 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello aberry you poor thing I know how I felt and I am much older . I am waiting to see the gyno next month I was diagnosed a couple of months ago and I did lots of research. You are right about your high impact exersize .personally I would rather find a gentler form I do yoga and zumba low impact as I really don't want my insides falling out also research says that if you have op you still have to be careful so you might want to find something else. I started doing pelvic exersizes about 2 months ago 5 sets of 8 3 times a day and it does seem to have helped. I also did a lot of research into the kegal8 ultra 20 most of the reviews were excelent I have been using it for 10 days now and I do feel a vast improvement. All the research into the pelvic floor exercises and the kegal seems to say you need to do it for life. You don't have to buy the kegal but I would certainly look into the pelvic floor exercises it's by keeping your floor strong that keeps everything else in place . I didn't know that years ago I wish someone had told me then . But I am 65 and I am not giving in to an op unless I have no choice. I also read you don't have to have children to have a prolapse a bad cough heavy lifting high impact can all give you a prolapse so keep your pelvic floor strong. I hope this has helped

• Posted

I agree with angie. Sometimes the make up of our tissues just aren't good enough for the constant pounding of extreme excercising. It's sad but vital that you need to change all that now, otherwise it's going to lead you down a path of no return. You've had the wake up call of the diagnosis. You have to change. It's all going to fall down eventually otherwise. It's same as those over 50 persisting in long runs pounding the pavements and further advancing prolapses. Those age needing new knees and hips from same as our joints aren't designed for that in a lot of cases. You have fragile facia tissue. Respect it from now on in or you're going to regret it. Sorry about harsh reality. 

• Posted

Hello aberry,

You are young to have this problem, i can relate to your worry. I agree with other posts,  

please refrain from high impact sport now, find another way to excersise.

Now is the time to look after your pelvic floor muscles, as you age the issue wont go away unless you make the effort to support these muscles.

I was never aware of this importance when i was your age, now i wish i had been! I am 60 now and have had prolapse which has come back.

There are lots of factors involved with POP, constipation, coughing, falls, jogging, jumping, lifting. I felt mine go while dancing a jig! I had a very physical heavy lifting job when young, this didnt help much, i also played squash, tennis.

Why not try swimming, yoga, pilates, cycling. Do those kegels before its too late, dont be like me!

Best wishes sweets,

Carol😽

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.