popped bartholin cyst, Help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

am 19 yrs old and i had a very small pea sized bump on my right vaginal lip which i researched and realized was a bartholin cyst. ive had it for a week or two. Last night i decided to look at it myself and i was pressing on it a bit with tweezers to figure out what it was, and i popped it by accident and pus and blood came out. Aftwerwards, i sat in a warm bath for 10 minutes, dried it, and put antibiotic ointment on it. Then i filled an empty water bottle with hot water and slept with it compressed to that area. This morning i can feel there is no pus there, but it is a bit swollen and painful when i touch it. What should i do next?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like this may not be a Bartholin's gland cyst, but a sebaceous cyst or even an ingrown hair that got infected. I'm not a doctor, but I would say that keeping it clean, wearing cotton underwear and looser fitting pants (etc), and putting antibiotic on it (or even teatree oil, just a little bit diluted with water) is a great plan. If the swelling doesn't go down, if it oozes, or if the redness and inflammation spreads, see a doctor. Or see one now! Can't hurt.
  • Posted

Well, you want your cyst to pop, but hopefully you got all of the pus out of it or it will come back. It sounds like you'll be fine. I would stay away from the antibiotic ointment as it is too heavy for the bartholin glad opening. Just lots of warm/hot water and a little non fragrant mild soap is enough. Don't touch. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Just worry about prevention now that you know you haver had one. Get tested for sti's if you're concerned.

• Posted

HI Jane,

You seemed to have done everything right, but when mine popped, my doctor recommended ice packs 3 times a day for at least 20 mins at a time for 3-4 days. I highly recommend you go to a doctor so he can prescribe some antibiotics for you, or else the area can get infected which would be a much more serious problem.

Hope I was helpful...good luck!

• Posted

I personally wouldn't do it myself. You are very brave. I would ask for antibiotics from your dr now that you've popped it but there's still a chance it will fill back up again. Not to be a Debbie downer. If u can, try silica complex!!! I ordered mine online. Kept it small until it finally went away!! Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.