Port question

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has a doctor every scheduled you for a port installation without telling you the diagnosis?

Like she is making me come in to discuss the diagnosis, and then all of sudden two other appointments were scheduled as well right after result discussion appointment. She scheduled a bone marrow biopsy and a port appointment.

Anyone had that happen to them?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If it helps, I was asked if I wanted to schedule surgery before I had even met with my cancer doctor.  But, this was in the US--and I had received the news from my gyn that I had endometrial cancer.  

It didn't bother me, because I knew that the doctor was looking out for my welfare. When one has cancer I think it's best to move quickly.  I'm sure that if you meet with your doctor and you are uncomfortable with the recommended treatment, you can always get a second opinion.  But if you want the recommended treatment to proceed quickly, it's best to have the necessary appointments lined up.  

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you! xx

• Posted

ok that makes a little more sense. I live in the US. I was like things are popping up on my notifications for appointments so fast and i don't know what it is just what they are thinking. Like the first biopsy of lymph nodes is two days before the rest of it all so we haven't gotten pathology just concerning pet scan

• Posted

I can empathize.  In my case, my gyn called on Friday with my diagnosis and told me that the surgeon/oncologist's office he was referring me to would be calling me on Monday.  

Monday morning, I got a call from the hospital where i would have the surgery.  Someone had cancelled her surgery, and they wanted to know if I wanted to take her slot.  I said yes.  

Then the surgeon/oncologist's office called about 20 minutes later and scheduled an appointment for that coming Thursday.  After that appointment, I went to the hospital in the afternoon to get my pre-op work done.  I had my surgery the next Monday.  Whew!

If I had not taken the cancelled slot I would have had to wait another month to have my surgery.  I was glad to get it done so swiftly, but I was almost completely overwhelmed...

I hope all goes well for you!  xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.