Posibble urethra stricture

Posted , 5 users are following.

I do have a weak urine flow after the simple prostatectomy. Did anybody had these after surgery and how was treated ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Can we assume that there was no access through the urethra for you surgery? Was there a Foley catheter inserted during and post surgery? A catheter can sometimes cause strictures.

• Posted

NO access through urethra for surgery. Two small incisions in belly.

Catheter in for 3 month before surgery and 2 weeks after.

• Posted

Nick,

Having a catheter in place can lead to strictures. After a Green Light laser procedure, ended up with complex strictures in the region of the external sphincter. The sphincter could not fully close as a result, so I had high level leakage, and wore Depends (8-10 a day) for a year, and condom catheters and bags for another year. During this time, I had multiple procedures to try the resolve the strictures. A final procedure along with an AUS implant (artificial urinary sphincter) finally allowed me to be dry again.

With the strictures, my flow was around 5 to 7 cl per second. (Only by staying on my back for awhile could I get the bladder to fill for a measurement.) Now, when I open the AUS to empty my bladder, it flows at about 35 cl per second.

You may need to have a retrograde urethrogram (RUG) done to see if strictures are the problem.

Glenn

• Posted

Thanks for the answer.

I went back to my urologist and he did a cyctoscopy and find out a 5mm stricture. Then I had a urethra dilatation under total anesthesia. Catheter was in for two days. It is been almost a week since cath. is out and flow is good.

The only problem is the pain/urgency to move a bowel after each urination that last for 10-15 minutes, it goes away when I sit then again if I start walking the urgency to pee is coming out and the pain come back, and so on.

Doc told me that this is normal and take some ibuprofen!!!!

Did anybody has this before?

• Posted

simple is just when they shave the interior of the enlarge prostate. radical is when you have cancer and whole prostate is remove.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.