Posible polyp removal, scared :(

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, 

?To cut a long story short, I saw my GP last month as I've been spotting between periods. It would normally happen during ovulation but I'm 45 and this has never happened before. It would also happen after strenuous exercise (I run 3-4 times a week, used to anyway, until this started). Periods are very heavy but regular. Doctor thought it was peri and smear, bloods and vaginal/cervical swabs came back all fine. I then had to have an internal US (sounds scary but didn't hurt at all!) and they found a smallish fibroid but also what they believe is a polyp. The lady who performed the scan said that I would probably be referred to a gynaecologist now and should have it removed as they don't like to leave them.

My GP will be calling me on Fri but just wanted to ask if anyone has had experience with this sort of thing. Is the procedure horrible and do they offer anaesthetic at all? 

Many thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jo, i have had the same, had the polyp removed in march, took about 30 seconds, no pain, tiniest spot of blood, i was worried but honestly nooooo problem at all, got the results back all clear, its nothing to worry about xx
    • Posted

Thank you for replying Linda, it means a lot!

It is so good to hear that and I'm glad it went well for you. Where was yours? Mine is in the cavity (I think) which sounds scary but I have decided that I've had enough of that and want it out?

?Did you have any symptoms before and did the removal help with those?

?Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Jo xx

• Posted

I had mine removed at Pontefract Hospital (fantastic by the way)....i basically went for my smear test, laid on the bed as you do......legs open and not very dignified but you know what i mean......she just said WOW you got a polyp................i could have died to be honest as i was just ready for going in Hospital for TKR, so did not need it.......anyway i also posted in this forum because i wasn't sure  , they were fantastic in here, and no i had no pain at all so i had no idea it was there.........another good reason everyone should get there smears done, anyway i hope that's helped you, don't worry love , all will be spot on xx

• Posted

Thanks again Linda! Sounds easy. I hope mine is too although I believe it's further in the cavity as they never spotted it during smears. Will keep you posted and thanks again for replying xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.