Positioning the leg when sleeping

Posted , 5 users are following.

4 weeks out. Joe do you position your leg when going to sleep at night? I used to use a body pillow that I positioned my leg on from hip to toe. I realized that that made the leg straightening more difficult because the knee was slightly bent all night. Now that I've improved my pain and anti-inflammatory management, I'm almost able to sleep with my leg flat on the bed, but it still is too painful to go to sleep that way. I've tried lying on my side using the pillow between my legs, but that fires up the bursitis in my hip. I've tried the frog position for the leg, but that still is uncomfortable. So now it seems I'm back to the pillow.

What do you do with your leg when you lie down to sleep at night?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My Surgeon stressed keeping the leg staight and that's what I did.  I did those exercises where you suspend your heel and let the leg go into hyper extension, so I had no trouble later. That really hurt at the beginning.  When flexing, my relief came from hyperextending because my leg was so used to that.  I NEVER went to sleep without my leg straight for those 3 weeks post op.  Now I can sleep with pillows under and even bend my knee and it's not a problem.  I position it however feels no pain.  I'm 4 weeks out also.  The pattern I see  on this blog is that people who can flex well, cannot completely extend.  I extend fine but only flex to around 85 now.  With working on it, I hope that increases in the weeks to come.  

• Posted

This is a great question. I don't really see how anyone can sleep with their leg straight unless they are reallyl lucky. Even if you were able to sleep on your back surely relaxed your foot would flop to one side and there would be a slight bend. I sleep comfortably in the recovery position but I must say I feel my leg has gone back a bit each morning and I have to work hard to straighten it back to where it was the previous day. In fact it is about 6-8 deg bent now at 8 weeks which is worse than the day after the op. I've tried all the various exercises on here but it is locked at that. It's straighter than it was before the op though and I am walking well so should I worry?

• Posted

Hi Kgunch

Very early days for you

I had to sleep sat up to be comfy

Luckily I have a reclining bed so my leg was elevated

I would keep with the pillow under your leg until you find what's best for you

Hope this helps

Regards

Christine

TKR 2014

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.