Positive biopsy but negative bloods

Posted , 3 users are following.

I Have presented with many symptoms associated with coeliac disease for about 2 years. I was having regular iron infusions as my iron stores could not maintain themselves so I was under the haemotology department . I had a biopsy just before christmas and the results came back positive for coeliac so I was discharged and referred back to a dietician and the gastro consultant and told to cut gluten out straightaway (which i did) I them saw the comsultant who said the blood test was negative so wouldn't diagnose until I had another blood test. I have reintroduced gluten but feel rubbish all the time . Don't know if it is a coincidence but my period hasn't come either. Wanting some advice as I don't really know where to go from here as I thought a biopsy was the final say.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

That seems bit odd. The blood test is usually regarded as being just an indicator and not very accurate while the biopsy is a definitive test. To suggest that the biopsy results need to be confirmed by a blood test does seem very much the wrong way round. Perhaps you should check back with the consultant to make sure that there has not been a misunderstanding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.