Positive canestan self test for BV

Posted , 4 users are following.

so to start, my symptoms began nearly a week ago.

backstory.. i have a tooth infection, 3 weeks ago was given antibiotics 5 day course but pain came back so went back to dentist 2 days ago and the infection has not gone so they gave me another 5 day course of anti biotics which i am still taking.

began getting burning sensation when i wee, itching lower labia just near vaginal opening and redness. googled of course as never experienced this and it said thruss which can be caused by antibiotics, wanted to be sure so went and bought a canestan self test for vaginal infections which came back probable for BV which i did not expect as i still am sure its just thrush. there is no foul oder, no bleeding, my discharge is of normal consistancy to what it notmally is this time of the month (came off my period about a week ago) so all im experiencing is slight burning when i wee, itching, redness and feeling of swelling on innermost labia near to vaginal opening and allround soreness in the valva area. so my question is is the "foul/offensive smell" the deffinate symptom of BV or can you have it without that symptom?

to add to it im not sure what would have caused it, i did use a new showergel in the bath the morning my symptoms started, im on anti biotics, the same morning it started i had intercourse with my other half and my clitoris was stiging abit, alot of foreplay maybe not enough lube (lol) so i assumed at first that it was just soreness from sex then as the day went on i began having the burning and then by the next day i felt like i have slight swelling and mega itching irritation. i done the test yesterday night that came back blue as indication for bv and at this point im very uncomfortable , wearing underware is irritating me more but going comando around the house in loose pants isnt giving me much releif either.

im also not lookong forward to treatment as i will need an internal topical too to ease the symptoms as well as tablet to treat it BUT EVERY review ive read of Bv treatment has been awful with experiences of nausea eith the tablets and burning/tummy issues woth the topical.

can any one advise on anything ive been ramblingg on about? this is my first infection in the lady area so im kind of freaking out. will my vagina ever feel normal again lmao?!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

i know some women experience irritation with bv but i never have. it kind of sounds like an allergic reaction. i have had that before with a new soap. best bet would be to see a doctor.

• Posted

thankyou for replying. i thought maybe it may be reaction to the shower gel, when i was a kid i could only bathe in one brand or id end up with burning and itching in that area (sounds strange i know- the doctor never knee what caused it, jist said i must be sensitive) anyway i thought id grown out of that as ive been fine over my teen and adult years, but as the shower gel was a brand ive never used it could be a possibility, but then im thinking if that was the case i wouldnt have got a probable result for BV...

im deffo going to try and book in at the docs when they open tomorrow.

did you have an ok experience with treatment for BV? any bad side effects? if you dont mind me asking..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.