Positive Cologuard test (colon cancer)

Posted , 3 users are following.

**** I am really scared. I have never met anyone that has even had this and it has been 26 years since my last colonoscopy. I took the cologuard test and it came back positive. And my doctor gave me an appointment for the middle of JANUARY !

This seems like a very long wait and my question for all of you is there any suggestions on how I could get seen sooner or is this seem about the best I could do ? Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Cakeinup

Its perfectly understandable for you to be worried, and the wait does seem a long time. Unfortunately I think your options are limited

• Go private, do you have a BUPA/Spire hospital near you? You would have to check their website to see if they perform this and which consultants do it, they would want a referral letter from your doctor but that should not be a problem. If you do go down this route try and pick someone who does NHS work as well, so you can stay with them if you chose to go back into the system. Also, different consultants charge different rates so try and get a full breakdown of who charges what
    • Pester the hospital! Ask to go on a cancellation list and if you have the name of the doctor who will perform the colonoscopy and ring his secretary to see if you can be moved up the list. When I went through this I found it useful to build a relationship with the consultants secretary, I found it helped when I needed support.

Sorry, that's the best I can offer, good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.