POSITIVE ETD POST PLEASE READ

Posted , 4 users are following.

Like Mary who also posted a positive post, i promised myself if/when i got better, id make a post that others could read and get some positivity from.

Around 12 weeks ago i woke up with a muffled ear. i dont know what caused it. i went to the doctors who told me i had an ear infection and they prescribed antibiotics and told me in a couple of days it would get better. It didnt. It started to cause me lots of anxiety, something id never experienced before. After a month a made an appt with a private ENT consultant. He looked in my ear, said it didnt look too bad and he thought it would clear itself within a few weeks-months. I searched google for positive stories, i wanted to know i wasnt alone. i wanted to know there would be light at the end of the tunnel. Going online didnt give me that positivity i soooo desperately needed. I used a nasal spray for about a month - i dont think that helped tbh. I tried doing daily exercises that i found on youtube - there are loads. I also did steaming - boiling water in a bowl, towel over head for 5-10 mins - i did this daily. Then about 4 weeks ago some days the muffled feeling didnt seem as muffled. Then the next day it did. I didnt know if i was just getting used to it, or whether it was very slowly improving. Thank goodness for me, it was improving. Because i didnt know what happened once it started to heal..... did it take hours? or a day, or days or even weeks? In my case its weeks. My ear still isnt 100% better, but i think its like70-80%improved. its clearly a very gradual process. Just remember, those who have ETD and get over it quickly do not come to online forums, when searching, generally you will only find negative stories which will only make you feel worse. Give it time, in most cases ETD will right itself within a few months.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Thank you for your post. I am also suffering from it since around 17 March 2023. I hope it will get cleared soon. It's definitely difficult to say whether it's improving or not as you also mentioned. Let's hope for the best.

• Posted

HI and thank you for your positive post, there are not enough positive stories out there so you feel completely hopeless, i have had muffled ears and tinnitus since September 2023 before this four years of ear pain, possibly TMJD causing ETD! having a CT scan tomorrow, i am trying everything, steaming, gargling etc..becoming more and more depressed, weeping a lot, unable to work, so when someone kindly gives some positive feedback it really does help, so thank you.

• Posted

Hi, i have been desperatley searching the internet trying to find help and hopefully finding someone in the same situation as me. I have come across this page and your recent comment. i have been suffering with ETD since September too, and still no joy. I had a week of them being almost back to normal last week, and as you can imagine, i was over the moon, i really thought they were getting better, until i woke up at 3am on Friday, to have severely muffled hearing. It has really scared me, and my anxiety is on another level. I went to my GP on Friday afternoon, and i am now on antibiotics for a week for an ear infection, but so far, i am still waking up with really muffled hearing. I have never experienced this before, and its is really scary. I hope we can get better!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.