Positive experience

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all I just wanted to share my positive experience: I finally had my gallbladder removed on 29 Jan after being on the NHS waiting list for 50 weeks. I was understandably worried beforehand that the lasting effects of the op may be worse than the pain I had been dealing with but I knew I had to do it. I am 45 yr old female, overweight. I had to follow a pre-op diet to soften my liver. The op went to plan and I stayed in overnight. Had 2 weeks off work which I needed as I was wiped out. I can honestly say I wasn't in any major pain, just discomfort and soreness at my wound sights. They used glue to seal the wounds with dissolvable stitches underneath, which was great as no dressings. I stopped needing painkillers on day 6 and now, just over 3 weeks later, I feel completely back to normal again. 

I am so glad I had the op, I am able to eat whatever I like and I haven't suffered for it. I didn't even suffer any gas bloating or shoulder pain. In fact I can't believe I got away with it all so lightly!

Good luck to anyone else who is still waiting for their op.

2 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Similar story to mine in lots of ways naddynoo. I think we have had comments on other threads. I had my op a month before you and managed with just paracetamol for a few days after lap chole and going home the same day.

I'm glad to hear you have done well. The wait was too long for both of us, but we got there in the end. I was shocked if not entirely surprised that they found my gb to be in very bad shape, with inflammation, muliple stones and pre-cancerous changes emerging - how fortunate that it was done before it worsened, as only the stones showed up on scans. I did feel very unwell, but even blood tests were usually clear, little indication of what is going on inside. Definitely the right decision to go ahead.

?Hope you continue with a great recovery and good health for the future.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

So glad you had such a positive experience.  Thanks so much for posting about it!

Now you can look forward with confidence!  Best of luck to you, and don't forget to keep in contact with this site!   

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello

I had my gallbladder removed yesterday so very early days, but thanks for sharing such positivity as its all a bit worrying the wait and the surgery and then recovery. I had a short wait on the NHS after being referred in December 2016 but had been unwell for some time. I also was told I had inflammation of the gallbladder yesterday after surgery - almost warrants the persistence as none had showed on scans apart from the gallstones themselves.

Very sore but completely manageable with pain relief so do not be frightened to anyone who has yet to go through this !

Thanks once again for sharing your story ❤️

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up