Positive experiences with endoscopy & colonoscopy please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had to see the GI doc after almost losing the ability eat completely. Stomach, chest, and back burn had become too much for me. Doc said my symptoms are all over the place and because I am newly anemic just in last couple months he said it is best to take a look inside. He mentioned gastritis and IBS again but said the anemia is a red flag that means endoscopy and colonoscopy are needed. If they come back clear he wants me to work with a dietician and he will do food sensitivity testing. In meantime he prescribed what he called an IBS med called dicyclomine. Left it up to me whether I want to take it. Does anyone else take this? I think if it is truly IBS then my flare must be subsiding because I am no longer having pains but I have returned to being constipated 😦 Will that be life-long?

Please tell me that colonoscopies and endoscopies are nothing to stress. I will be given a sedative which freaks me out but doc said with my anxiety there is no way he will do it while I am awake.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

IBS is life long and will flare up when you are stressed and go away when calm. The anemia may be to do with the heavy periods you have. I haven't heard of the antispasmodic you have been given but I would take it anyway when you have a flare up to see if it helps you. This is the only way of finding out if it is suitable.If it isn't,there are others you can try. I was put on Mebeverine and was told by Boots that it was a good drug but it wasn't. I came off it within four days because of side effects and I had no benefits. I found Buscopan much better and milder for me.

Ask your doctor about the link between sedation and anxiety and depression because I got severe depression after mild endoscopy sedation. Sedation affects our sensitive side and if you already have anxiety, the after effects of sedation can amplify it. I was not warned about in advance when I should have been.

• Posted

I was awake although drowsy for my procedure. However, a general anaesthetic would also have given me depression and I would have vomited too. Being asleep for the endoscopy would not have helped me either.

• Posted

Thank you Pippa for the info! I sure hope the sedative does not impact me that way. I had oral surgery yrs ago and had been sedated for that so hopefully it will be ok 😦 I will ask about it.

• Posted

It's better to ask because otherwise you won't be told. Doctors often tend to play down side effects and pretend they don't happen.

• Posted

Wow sounds like you have had a lot going on..I had a hemorridectomy (operation to remove haemorrhoids) two months ago and have had issues on and off with my gut. Better now but worse bits have been constipated and fissures! For your constipation, check if your GP can give you any good stool softners e.g Movicol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.