Positive h pylori test, should I quit taking kefir?

Posted , 2 users are following.

As suggested on this forum, i have been trying kefir to deal with my reflux.  Recently I asked my PHP for a SIBO test.  He ordered the h pylori test first.  To my surprise, it came back positive.  The prescribed treatment for hp is a combination of antibiotics along with a PPI. 

For those who may have been through this: Should I quit the kefir and probiotics altogether? Does the antibiotic treatment work? What can I do about the side effects of taking PPIs?  (They always gave me diarrhea when I tried them.)

Thanks.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Are you taking water kefir?  I found this was more effective than milk kefir.  I would suggest you keep taking it as the antibiotics will completely annihilate your good gut bacteria and you will feel worse off.  By taking probiotics you will be ensuring your good bacteria colony is maintained and providing your body with a fighting chance to recover more naturally.  Do however discuss it with your doctor(s) first as they should be always be consulted.  Best of luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Etha. Until now I've only been taking the milk kefir because I was able to buy it the grocery store.  My plan was order the crystals and make my own water.  Then I got this test result.  And I read conflicting advice on the internet regarding kefir for this situation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.