Positive inf antibody test

Posted , 3 users are following.

I haven't spoken to the Dr yet but just got my lab results for a test that I had to bug him to do.  Recently developed tingling, burning pain and numbness in both hands. B 12 level was 249. The Dr kept telling me it was normal and wasn't causing the problem. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have also been told I have ibs for 15 years because I have constant diarrhea.  A few years ago I developed high blood pressure and tachycardia and was put on medication for that. 5 years ago I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and am being treated for that also.  I am 54 years old and feel like 70. Always tired and sluggish.  I am wondering if all these problems could be from PA and will they get better if the PA is treated.  Thanks for any input
  • Posted

Hello Maureen,

I see that you have headed up your discussion "positive inf antibody test".  This website has a good section on PA.  I think it would be worth your while printing off a copy and showing it to your GP. Maybe even highlight the "management" section.

please let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hello again,  to search for the PA info on this website go to the "Professional Reference" tab near the top, type in "Pernecious Anemia" then select the first on the list.  There is a good section headed "autoantibody Screen". This will tell you about Intrinsic Factor.
  • Posted

Hi Maureen,

Your B12 levels are certainly low. You have what is called sub-clinical deficiency, even though you have clinical signs. In the UK your level is not low enough for you doctor to order tests on the health scheme, so you will probably have to pay for them yourself. My suggestion would be to start supplementing with high dose B12. Are you diabetic on metformin, or do you know why you may be B12 deficient, ie diet, or have a history of PA in the family? Are you on anti-acids, do you have hypothyroidism? There are just a few of the causes of B12 deficiency. They have similar but different treatments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.