Positive mental attitude

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am now 9 + 1 day and feel I am getting my life back on course.  Is it wrong to be positive?  

Of course I have bad days, of course 

I have pain but I am detrmined to be me again.  

I wish all of you good days and progress.  

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I agree carol. A lot of it is your mental attitude.

Try to be positive. Listen to your body. 

Cry , shout, scream, sleep when you need to.

Live one day at a time and make it a master peace.

I  am doing a lot of my Christmas shopping on line. 

Much easier.

Christine NZ

• Posted

Thank you, i was so upset with some comments.  I have bad days too but try to pick myself up again.  
    • Posted

That's what it's all about, There will be

more bad days to come followed by good days. Hang in there,

Christine NZ

• Posted

I think being positive us the only way to get through this. It's such a long haul. I get upset when people think.I should be better now. Then I feel guilty that I am not. Then I get determined to get better and overdo it. I think being positive and focussing on the good days is the way to go.
  • Posted

I've just read your comment on another thread and the replies. It IS good to be positive. And it is important to recovery. But I think.most people have days when it us all too.much and no matter how hard you try you just can't be positive. I know I have days like that. Not many, and they are decreasing, but they are there. When I am having a day like that, it really grates to be told to be positive, even though I know that it what I have to do. I find it best to be a but gentle with myself on those days, rest and pick myself up the next day. I am determined to be me again as well, but if I push it too.much, I fall.in a heap and go backwards. I have to pace myself. So I guess the knees are still ruling my life, much as I would  prefer they didn't. as an illustration, I went to get fit. I walked 4 km yesterday. I was very sore last night, am tired and achey today, and will.prob spend the day on the bed. If I had walked 3 km yesterday, u eoukd hsve had a better sleep and would be able tobdo 3 km today. As if is, no amount if positive thinking is going to get me walking much today.
  • Posted

Being positive wins the battle Carol. That's how I;ve felt from the beginning. Determination helps get past the pain, I'm at the same stage as you and when I look back just a couple of weeks I know how much I've improved. That's why I threw away my last stick a couple of weeks ago. However I also know that I;ve been lucky. No complications, a good bend and straight and a great hubby to help me through the first dark days. Not everyone has had all that. I'm looking forward to starting rehearsals for a new play and planning a long driving holiday next year. I'm also looking forward to Christmas but all my shopping is on line. I've never liked shopping and won't start now.
  • Posted

This sounds encouraging. I am day 3 in hospital. Meds are making me feel sick and dizzy. Have 90 degree bend but hurts like hell. I smile determined though and I think you have to be positive, though yesterday was tearful. I suppose everyone gets off days. Just hope to get pain relief sorted.
    • Posted

Well done Susan! You are on the right side of the operation- nearer to being better than 3 days ago! Thinking of you.

Kind regards,

Gill XX

• Posted

Nothing prepares you for the pain though, if I am being honest. I need my other knee done but now I will rethink. Meds have made me so sick. Feel woozy and drunk-like. Still a long way to go. Just want to sleep!!
    • Posted

Day 3 is horrible. Sorting out the meds that suit you and the pain really setting in. It was day 3 that my surgeon came and pushed my foot  up to my bum. Ahhhh. But it worked. You will need this site in the next few weeks especially on the teary days. Good luck and don't forget the ice.
    • Posted

susan -- day 3 is ... well, it is day 3 and it is horrid, painful, confusing and sickening.  i had the same thing, it turns out i cannot take opiates.  if you ask your nurses, you are probably on opiates.  they do help with the pain initially so if it is bearable, stay on them.  getting the pain meds sorted when you get out is a MAJOR topic on here.  make sure you get the cocktail right, it makes such a difference and it will be essential in getting your bend up.  

keep posted on here for advice, there is nothing that hasn't been asked here and we are all happy to share our experience and advice.  finally it has to work for you and you will find the way.

• Posted

I have decided that I've had enough. Tomorrow I am going to get up and be ok again. I'm going to clean the house ( much needed), well do what I can anyway. I will write my Christmas cards when I sit down. I may even finish the painting I started before my operation.

my sister-in-law has her 2nd TKR on Wednesday in Croydon.

I told her about you guys on here.

Think positive

Caz-10 weeks post TKR Australia

• Posted

Well done Caz. Great attitude. Don't overdo the housework though. I find that two hours a day on everything is enough at the moment. And you'llprobably feel it tomorrow but it will be worth it.
    • Posted

So much for being normal yesterday, I woke up with an eye infection.

Starting again today. The tight band on my knee is loosening at last.

I found a new position to bend my knee while ex erasing. I laid on my good side and put my TKR leg exactly on top. I let my bad leg go loose and heavy. Then I bent my good leg and the bad leg bent with it. It didn't hurt so much, and the bend was definitely more.

Give it a try, it might work for you.

Caz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.