Positive post re anal skin tag surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

After reading some of the horror stories online re anal skin tag surgery I had to leave a positive story. I have suffered with a very big anal skin tag for 10 years after having 2 babies. I was booked in pre covid to have it removed but a cancelled the op after reading all of the scary stories online.

My tag was big and uncomfortable, if I sat too long it would thrombose, I was always aware of it being down there and it was a nightmare to keep clean after a bowel movement. I decided to pay and go private to get it removed quicker. I was able to have the surgery under local anaesthesia (NHS refused and said it had to be under GA which I didn't want) Had the op on Friday and I am pleased to say it is healing with no issues. I was in and out in half an hour. The needle to numb the area was a bit ouchy but I didn't feel a thing when he was removing the tag. I've used stool softners and a few paracetamol and it hasn't been anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I was petrified of the first bowel movement and it did sting after going but that was soon soothed by jumping in the shower. I've had no bleeding, no major pain and I am so happy I've had it done. Everything looks normal down there now and it will be so nice to wipe after the loo and not have to clean up with wet wipes. I wish I hadn't suffered for so long, if anyone reading this is putting it off like I did I would say go for it.. not every case is a negative story 😊

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

and how long was recovery? all of these stories i am reading are horrifying

• Posted

no stitches, they left the wound open. Honestly it was no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be! After reading some of the horror stories I cancelled my op and suffered with the tag... I wish I had done this years ago.

I would say after a week and a half I was feeling fine. I took a few paracetamol the days after and kept using stool softeners for around 2 weeks. It did burn going for a poo but I would jump straight in the shower and use the shower head to clean it and the pain went away. Lots of salt baths to help the healing.

• Posted

Its perfect now, had no issues at all, best thing Ive done, i wish i had done it sooner. I had an episiotomy and I found that much worse than having this tag removed.

• Posted

that is awesome! did you just have one? was the base of it wide?

sorry i have so many questions.. i am trying to decide on having mine removed.. i had a consultation and my surgeon said it would be an op procedure under local.. and probably no stitches.. i just worry about the healing process.. i don't want to make it any worse 😕 sounds like yours went very well!!!! so happy for you

any other types or advice would be appreciated

• Posted

i had one very large skin tag, it was wide at the base (bigger than he thought it was!) so it was a larger wound than what he had expected. I had the local and then he cut it away and sealed it to stop the bleeding. Is it causing you problems now? I suffered for 10 years with mine and it was getting worse and bigger, wiping after the loo was a nightmare and if I sat and caught it it would thrombose it was a nightmare!

I would say if its causing you problems get it removed. It is so nice now not having to worry about it flaring up and not having to clean up with wet wipes after the loo! I scared myself silly reading some of the stories on line and actually cancelled my initial op.

The procedure was very quick! I was in and out of the room in 20 minutes. Just use stool softners (you don't want a hard poo) and have the shower running so as soon as you have been to the loo you jump straight in and put the shower head down there - it relieves the throbbing. Lots of salt bath and thin panty liners. I didnt have much bleeding after the first poo and I was very conscious to keep it clean and I have healed very well. I would sit to the one side just to keep the pressure off it but it was no where near as painful as I was expecting. I would go through it all again 🙂

• Edited

I have 3 ☹ !

one is tiny.. 2 are a little bigger but not too big. My colorectal surgeon said on a scale of 1-10 mine were a 1.. he said he would remove them if I wanted them removed but he couldn't guarantee what the outcome would be.. which is a little scary. They don't cause me pain, they don't thrombose.. sometimes I feel like they rub.. and i hate having to use the wet wipes all the time.. honestly I think it mentally bothers me the most..

I just don't know what to do.. I worry that they will grow and get bigger..

any idea what causes them to grow?!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.