Positive reason to take HRT????

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this HRT thing. Got my second patch on this morning (first one I found stuck to the bed sheets this morning - got a lot to learn)

What I really want to ask is, having spoken to a doctor (well cried at!) and been advised to start HRT, she then talked me through a LOT of negative stuff like risks of cancer, thickening of womb linings etc etc. Then I got the patches and read even more negative stuff about it.

What I REALLY need to hear right now is some plus's to using HRT. I need to know this is the right thing to do. Can anyone help?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

Hi Sara, I know how you're feeling, I had a similar experience. It took me a while to find a GP who was even prepared to prescribe me with HRT as Ive always suffered from migraines and they were so reluctant to let me try it. When they eventually did and I read the leaflets, I was terrified!! However, nearly 3 years on, I'd now be terrified to come off it. It really helped me with a lot of my symptoms and I feel a LOT better on it. That's not to say it's perfect and a fix for everything because for me, it hasn't been. But all I can suggest for you is what I told myself when I first went on it : try it for 3 months and see how you feel. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The risks associated with HRT have been totally overblown by the media. See how you go, and reassess after a few months. Hopefully it helps you as much as it helps me, but if it doesn't, well at least you tried.

• Edited

Thank you so much for the kind words. I'll do exactly that. To be honest I'm on patch 3 now and I already feel better. Maybe things aren't quite as bad as I thought, but it's so nice to have people like you just to put my mind at ease. Thank you

• Posted

Hi Sara

The problem is that the medical world has to tell you all the negatives and all the possible side effects. This makes you think thats is a given that you will experience them. I found that once I got into the swing of it HRT, it was a life changer and I only stopped when the GP withdrew it. You just have to be vigilant and if you think anything is changing speak to your GP. Have your smears and your mammogram's. One thing I would say is, that having the HRT, especially replacing oestrogen, will save you from the possibility of some pretty horrible conditions in later life, such as vaginal atrophy, which will totally destroy you (speaking from experience) and a weak pelvic floor. So I would say give it a go. You seem to have a good GP so your very lucky there. Post your progress

• Posted

I will, thank you for the advice 😃

• Posted

Good Morning,

I would recommend listening to Dr Louise Newson's podcast, its a very balanced view and very helpful. Also their balance app is free and so informative.

• Posted

To anyone else out there in my position. Please listen to the podcast that Tracy76922 adviced to me. Dr Louise Newton on HRT. Some very good points.

Thank you so much Tracy

• Posted

Please let me know in the past months while you were on HRT treatment, have you had any Side Effects? Currently I am using progesterone 100 MG capsule and estradiol 00375MG patch, I started using it from January 26th but until now I still haven't seen any results, every day I still get more tired and have strong hot flashes. worse, headaches, anxiety and worse mood, I don't know if this is a Side Effect from HRT? My last hope is that HRT can help me get back, I'm so scared of all the terrible symptoms that have made my life Fall into darkness with no way out😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

• Posted

I think there is still wide scale fear of HRT following a now largely discredited but highly publicised bit of research. I am no doctor so please read up more and ask more questions but I think that the discredited study raised links with breast cancer, stroke and heart attack however when the study was examined they had actually used the incidences of those events in over 60's but applied them to the whole age range - which was wholly inaccurate. I would advise you search for Davina's documentary - on Youtube the bit where she is in a ball pit and shows that the risks of those things rise dramatically as a result of diferrent lifestyles and choices but the risk resulting only from HRT is in fact low.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.