positive report

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my hemorrhoids, both internal and external removed 3 weeks ago. I was very nervous about doing it after reading so many bad stories, but my hemorrhoids had gotten to the point where they were stage 3 which meant that they pushed out and needed to be manually pushed back in. This was starting to happen not only when I had a BM but when I was exercising or hiking, and sometimes in the evenings, just because! I was at a point where I couldn't do the things I loved to do, like camping, hiking, traveling etc. I'm a 70 year old women in good physical shape.

Operation day: my surgeon did not instruct me to do any prep beyond not using any blood thinning medication for two weeks before the operation. I assumed that he would do an enima before operating. He did not. The operation itself and afterwards was very painful even though I was given a anesthesia and oxycodone. I slept through the 2 hour drive home, and was very sick by the time we arrived - reminding me that I have had reactions to codeine. After taking the medication for two days I stopped and only took acetaminophen and later ibuprofen every 6 hours.

Day 2: I started taking my prescribed stool softeners and fiber, plus followed a very high fiber diet. I drank 64 oz of water daily. Because it was too painful to sit down, I did a lot of walking in the house every day, and out side when the weather was nice. Sitz baths and tub baths 3-5 times a day for 10-15 minutes each, plus warm and cold compresses.

Day 3: I had my first Bowel Movement, and yes it was very painful, but quick. Urinating was also difficult at first, but I found it less painful and easier to pee in the sitz bath, clean the bowl and then do my soak.

By day 6 my bowel movements were less painful. I still could not sit comfortably until 1 1/2 weeks passed.

today - week 3, I am still slightly swollen down there and tender, but can sit for longer periods of time and am having normal BMS.

My advise to anyone going through this.

Be sure to pick the best colon/rectal surgeon you can find.

Stick to a high fiber diet for the first couple weeks. No red meat, white bread, white rice, alcohol, fatty foods. I am still doing the fiber supplements twice a day.

Drink no less than 64 oz of water daily

I was advised to not put anything on the area. The first week I was told to put a cotton square between my butt cheeks to absorb any drainage. I keep it clean now by stepping into the shower after a bm and using my hair dryer on cool to dry the area. It is important to keep the surgical area clean and dry.

Exercise often. In the beginning walk, walk, walk. At week 3 I am able to do my daily morning workouts that include elliptical machine, light free weights and yoga stretches. In the afternoons I am back to walking outside for an hour daily.

My surgeon says the swelling should reduce within a month, and the tenderness along with it. I am so relieved that the operation was easier to go through then I scared myself into, AND I am so glad to not have those pesky hemorrhoids in my life any more!!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

So happy to hear you are doing well! Its nice to hear a positive outcome. I am 57 and have a autoimmune disease. My hems, I think come out when I stand up, walk, .. They go back on their own when I sit. I may also gave a rectal prolapse so I am hoping yo get something done this summer.

I hope you continue to heal well!!

• Posted

I also had rectal prolapse about 5 years ago. It was after that that I started having more problems with hems. I wish I had known then how important it is to make sure the hemorrhoids or prolapse is pushed back inside so they don't get infected. I had horrible pain from the prolapse that ended me in the ER where the doctor pushed it back in and told me that I should be doing that. Once I started doing that and also making sure the area was always clean, things started improving. But then my husband and I had several very long (10-12 hour) driving days out West and back to help his brother after several operations. That's when the hemis got bad, and started effecting what I could do in my life. I'm so relieved now to not be dealing with the hemis pushing out all the time, and look forward to seeing how things are once the swelling and tenderness subsides. I wish you luck if you should decide to have your removed. Make sure that you choice a rectal/colon surgeon with lots of experience, and take care to eat a high fiber diet and drink plenty of water to keep your stools soft. For me, only the first week and a half was painful. A small price to pay for getting ones life back!

• Posted

sue,

I am so hoping mine is just hemorrhoids! I have never had a doctor to tell me that I have a prolapse.The Xray and tests show nothing. I was examined and told I had horrible hems. Still, if I strain hard, it feels like a baseball coming out! I have never had pain until 2 years ago. I strained too hard and since then have had issues. This year I started having "something" slip out.

Someone posted a picture on here that looks like what is going on with me. Another problem is I am on Morphine for autoimmune disorder. Doesn't help with the hems. 😦

As I said I have an upcoming surgery in March, but after? I have to do something.

• Posted

Sue:

The picture I am talking about is under the name of " krystledawn"

I have not looked at mine that closely when it comes out but that is what it feels like. Did you just get your hems removed and do nothing for the rectal prolapse?

• Posted

The rectal prolapse seemed to resolve itself once I knew to keep it tucked in. I had both internal and external hems removed. Pain meds like morphine can cause constipation. It sounds like you may need to be more proactive about your diet. I'm not familiar with autoimmune disorder side effects so don't know how that is effecting the hems or constipation that is causing you to strain during BMs, but I do think if you have the hems removed and have not gotten your constipation under control, that the recovery from the operation could be very painful. One thing you do not want while recovering from this operation is to have to stain.

Sorry, I'm not familiar enough on how to navigate around this site to find those pictures.

• Posted

Thank you!Just having support on this forum helps tremendously!

• Posted

Thank you nice to have positive post . Go in on 11th Feb for mine removed . I am still very worried . Try to keep my bowels soft so will help with recovery after . I have been given an enema to use before I go in so hopefully give me a good flush out. Can you tell me best pain meds that don't make you constipated that work for you all .x

• Posted

I was just reviewing my doctors notes and was reminded that he used Exparel or Bupnacaine with my procedure. That is suppose to block pain for several days. Maybe that is why he didn't prescribe an enema before - better to have a bowel movement within that time period. I did have my first bowel movement on day 3. It was very painful but also very quick with no bleeding. Get in the tub, if you have one or use the sitz bath afterwards for relief. As I mentioned I had a reaction to the Oxycodone (it made me nauseated, sweaty and shaky) and stopped taking it by day 3 also. After that I used a combination of Acetominophen and Ibuprophen, sometime together, 2 of each, but later alternating every 6 hours, none now. I realize that this might not work for everyone depending on your pain level and the extent of your surgery, but I feel made a big difference in my not having constipation afterwards, and why after week two I wasn't having painful bms. It was also painful urinating at first because of the swelling. I soon found out that when I used the sitz bath, I would pee heavily whether I wanted to or not. No problem, just clean it out and return to your soak.

Stick to a high fiber, soft diet after. I did chicken noodle soup (mostly the broth with a few noodles), oatmeal, a high fiber whole wheat bread with peanut butter, grilled chicken breast, peas, broccoli, raspberries, pears, apples with skins, and non caffeinated teas - no alcohol (sigh, missed my red wine!), and no coffee, for the first couple weeks. I stopped the stool softener by day 4 because I wasn't on the pain med and didn't feel I needed it, but did and still am taking a teaspoon of fiber supplement with lots of water twice daily. At first that caused a lot of gas, but it's gotten better by, now week 3 1/2. Walking a lot help clear that up. I'm now eating more normal foods but still trying to eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, less red meats and fried foods.

I wish you luck.!!

• Posted

Julie,

I do not have much advice to offer since I have not had my surgery yet. I hope you do great!! Keep us updated if possible?

Wishing you well!!

• Posted

Thank you will make sure I keep your information . It will help a lot . Hopefully I will heal as qick as yourself .Hope you carry on from strength to strength and enjoy all the things you love doing xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.