Positive stories please***

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been given gabapentin for occipital neuralgia and anxiety, im so scared to take it, as its my anxiety keeping intilling this fear in me. I took gaba for 2 months 1 yr ago but didnt feel any difference so not sure if it will work or not, and also im reading so many negative responses that im now even more afraid to take it....

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Your anxiety about taking it is justificed jesika.  Gaba. is a very potent drug. And it depends on how  much you  take also.  I know. I have alot of expirence with gabapentin having used it for over 4 years ( I'm free from it now for 6 months after a very gradual tapering process. ) I was taking 900 mg/per day for 4 years . The first year or two It seemed to be doing some good ( for neuropathic pain and RLS)

But the last 2 years were very problematic.....lots of adverse side effects too numerous to mention. I know you want a "positive" story but it's very very difficult to find any....maybe a few per cent overall ! Most people do not expierence a good result.  In negative reporting  people are telling the truth....we want to help each other.......If something is not good about a drug, we want to know it.  So if a few out of a hundred say its good.....well then I don't know what to say about that.  But your hesititation and fear about this are very rational.  I'll give you a website in Pvt message to guide you in some more questions about this and all medications in general..........

• Posted

Hi Jesika, I too suffer from Occipital Neuralga with all the classic symptoms. Although for over two years the neurology department at my local hospital diagnosed me with Hemicrania Continua! At first I was prescribed Gabapentin 900mg/day along with 50mg/night Amitriptyline and 150mg Tramadol per day.

I felt more like a zombie than a normal person. Life was pretty much a haze and I did not seem to be improving whatsoever. Tarying to keep hold of my job became a nighmare too as a result of the drugs I was taking.

Then I was transfered to another hospital near Liverpool and they started to give me Occipital nerve blockers - injections to the rear of the head. In total I had three of these injections and my condition has improved a great deal. I also take Indometacin 50mg/day.

Perhaps you could discuss this treatment with your doctor? It certainly has helped me greatly. It might be of similar help to yourself? Either way I wish you all the very best in finding a tratment that works for you.

• Posted

Hi Jesika.Been taking Gabapetin for 5 months now for IBS,anxiety/depression,associated back pain along with Mirtazapine.It depends on your dosage.It has helped some.I take 600mg a day(in 200mg intervals).My cousin however takes 3600mg for bad nerve pain/burning.prickliness in her left leg and feet.Again it helps her some.You have to weigh what your going thru now without to whether you think it will help you.I would say try it and if you don't think it's helping you can taper off.I know it's a tough call.I'll pray that God gives you the right decison.Look into your heart and listen to His Voice.Keep me up to date and I'll reply.God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

People vary in their responses to it. Because of pain the first thing I do when I get up is have 900mg. I take 2700mg per day in total. I have been on Gabapentin for a year or so. I have little in the way of side effects although I do have a little brain fog. My pain from small fibre neuropathy and restless Leg syndrome is largely under control.
  • Posted

You won't find many positive ones on here- people usually come to compare notes on the problems they are having with a drug! I'm sure there are thousands of people that take it and it helps them loads. 

I was on it for nearly a year, it didn't stop my neuro pain, the doc kept suggesting I go higher, and I gave up at 1000mgs a day. It did take me a long time to wean off it, I never had any side effects whilst taking it, but felt well weird when I dropped too much at once. My advice, try it. IF it helps, that is wonderful.(Mine is also a facial neuralgia issue)

• Posted

Sorry, that should have read 3000mgs a day.
  • Posted

Like Mart45332, I take 2700mg a dat for Peripheral Neuropathy and it does help. I also found that it helps with anxiety and I use far less Diazapem than I used  to. You will see a lot of negative things on this site but for me it helps - and I have been taking it for a year and a half
  • Posted

An update. I am at Gatwick and I travelled 100 miles yesterday to get here. The pain at 5.00am was the worse ever. 900mg of Gabapentin and within 30 mins it is tolerable. I am very lucky (or unlucky depending how you view these things)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.