Positive Story from a Broken Ankle

Posted , 59 users are following.

Like many of you, I suffered a broken ankle. Up until now it has been one of the toughest experiences to overcome. The mental recovery has been far greater than the physical one! 

When I broke my ankle, had surgery, and started my recovery process, I did was most people do; I googled "broken ankle" and must have read through every forum, diary, website, blog out there looking for positive words to keep me thinking positively. However, most often than not, I found stories about unsuccessful recoveries, infections, problems walking, additional surgeries, etc. and I broke down. I felt like walking and my life would never be the same. I combed through so many sites looking for a successful story so I could stay motivated, but a lot of times I came up empty. 

Now, 8 weeks after my injury, I'm here to post encouraging words!

Here is my timeline:

4/20/16 - I was walking down the stairs of my apartment and I've yet to figure out how I missed the last step. I hit the floor full force with my right foot. I immediately felt my foot roll inward, fell against the wall and hit the floor butt first. My first instinct was to grab my excrutiatingly painful foot, squeeze it and take some deep breaths. I told myself it was probably just a bad sprain and that I should be tough and just get up and walk. When I let go of my foot, it sort of just dangled there and my ankle was already swelling up. I knew it was broken. I sat on the last step of my stairs for 20 minutes, waiting for a ride to go to the emergency room. Long story short, I had a right fibula fracture with an unstable ankle joint and needed surgery. Being a nurse, I realized the next 6 to 8 weeks were going to be tough. What I didnt realize, was how tough they would actually be! I was given a CAM boot and sent home. My surgery was scheduled for 4/25/16. 5 days of waiting.

4/25/16 Surgery day! I was excited to finally get this over with. I was given a nerve block before surgery to help with the pain after the procedure. I was taken into the operating room, told to start deep breathing into a mask, and the next time I woke up I was in the recovery room. I was now the proud (or unproud) owner of a metal plate and screws. My foot felt awesome. Actually, I couldn't even feel it and I was okay with that. Nerve blocks are great, but it was difficult for a control freak like me. I was telling my toes to move but they wouldnt. But there was zero pain for the first 24 hours. I was in the hospital so sleep was on and off. 

4/26/16 The day after surgery was by far the most painful thing I have ever felt. The nerve block wore off, I didnt anticipate the pain and refused pain medications the first 24 hours. Huge mistake. That day and night I was in excruciating pain, almost overdosed on Morphine, and was scared. I somehow made it through and the next morning I just wanted to be discharged and go home. So I did. Once home, reality started to set in. I realized I couldn't do anything by myself. Showering seemed impossible. Sleeping comfortably was out of the question. The pain was so bad. The swelling was awful. Around the clock narcotic pain medication gave me incredible constipation so I stopped taking anything after the first week. I was miserable. 

Part of what I read was correct. The first 2 weeks are by far the most difficult ones. If you are as independent as I am, you have to learn to ask for help. Using the crutches was a challenge. Arms were sore. The boot felt heavy. I wasn't even hungry and I started to feel depressed. Every awkward sensation would send me researching Google and then get even more depressed about what I would read. At the end of the day, I would tell myself that there were people out there who had it WAY worse and that I just needed to be patient; something I am definitely not. 

5/10/16 My first follow up appointment. 2 weeks after my surgery. Stitches were taken out at this time. That was a milestone for me. A small one, but at least I could start showering without having to cover my boot/foot with a plastic bag. Also, the doctor cleared me to start doing range of motion so I religiously did exercises two to three times a day. Still no pain meds since the first week and my foot started to feel more stable. I could finally somewhat reposition in bed at night. Being the stubborn woman I am, I decided to return to my apartment at this time. I needed to have some sort of independence to help my mood. Again, a very difficult 2 weeks. I felt lonely, I couldn't drive, and it was like I was on house arrest. But I told myself that I had made progress. 

I finally felt comfortable enough to go out to eat at a restaurant around this time. I felt I was handling the crutches a bit better, my foot still hurt but it wasn't anywhere near the day after surgery. Range of motion kept improving the next several weeks.

6/14/16 One of the best days of my life. I had my 7 week post op appointment. They took xrays. I was scared about the healing of my bone. A million different scenarios were running through my head. I was so nervous that my heart rate was in the 120's when they took my vital signs. Then the doctor walked in and said, "Congratulations, your x-rays look perfect. Your bone has healed. You can start walking now with the CAM boot for 2 weeks. Use your crutches until you feel safe and ditch them whenever you feel comfortable." He told me to return in 2 and a half weeks, gave me 3 more weeks off work and left the room. I sat there stunned. I didn't know if to laugh, scream, cry, or ask him to come back and repeat what he just said. I could now start WALKING. Although I knew it was still a long road ahead, thinking of setting my foot on the ground after 8 weeks was exhilarating. So I tried it.

The feeling was so awkward. It felt like a foreign foot to my body. There wasnt exactly pain, just a tight feeling in the ankle area and discomfort. Still with the use of two crutches, I walked out of the office. It took me about 15 minutes to get to the parking lot but I didn't care. As soon as I got home I told myself that the next time I had an appointment, I was going to walk into the doctor's office without the use of crutches. I also drove for the first time in 8 weeks. I change my boot for a slipper everytime I get in and out of the truck but thats a very small price to pay for now. I had freedom once again. 

6/17/16 Today. I am down to ONE crutch. 3 days after I was cleared to walk. Swelling still remains, especially if I've been walking. The foot still looks discolored. Incision is healing. I continue to do my range of motion. I finally used the stairs normally instead of on my butt going down or doing tricep dips all the way up. My goal is no crutches by next week. 

Don't give up! If I've learned anything about this experience so far is that your body and your mind is amazing. If you are patient and push through it, you will get there. I've reached important milestones and still have a few to attain. But I know I'll eventually get there and maybe even sooner than I expected. 

Hopefully my story helps bring a little encouragement for those of you going through the same thing. I could probably write a novel about my experience so I'm definitely here for support. Chances are, I felt that, thought that, and feared that as well.

Stay positive! 

smile 

20 likes, 137 replies

137 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you for sharing your story, it has given me some hope that I will recover well. I sustained a communited spiral fracture of my righ fibula with a medial malleolus and posterior malleolus fracture with a misaligned talus 😒 on the 15/9/17, this was 4 weeks ago on my last day of my holiday. I fell on a wet floor and instantly knew my ankle was broken. 

I had a closed reduction and ORIF surgery on 17/9/17 and am now the proud owner of a plate and 6 screws. Like you I am a nurse and know the road to recovery can be hard but I am dreaming of the day my fibreglass cast gets removed! At my last post op appointment I was told I had good movement as I was able to flex my foot 90 degrees when they were putting a new cast on!. There's an upside I suppose!

How long post op did it take until you were able to drive? How long to walking independently? 

Thanks for sharing your story, it's boosted my spirits.

• Posted

I was able to drive just 2 days after my cast was removed. I maybe shouldn’t have mind because if I needed to stop in an emergency I probably wouldn’t have been very successful. I’m now 16 weeks post surgery and had my first game of rugby last week. It was well strapped up, but I played rugby. I could walk freely after 2 weeks , but just be careful as doing too much can cause other issues. I walked 3 miles without crutches after 2 weeks and gave myself tendinitis which wasn’t great. . Keep positive and really make sure you keep doing your exercises x
    • Posted

Thanks so much for replying. Wow, 2 days that's amazing! When did you feel you could successfully perform an emergency stop? It's fantastic to hear positive stories of recovery. I think I've probably found the mental side of things to be harder to deal with than the physical. My mood has been fairly low since the injury but I will continue to try and stay positive.

Well done for playing your first game following the op! Did you have any discomfort when you were playing? My cast comes off in 10 days and ive been instructed to bring a trainer for my casted leg 😳, I'm feeling fairly anxious about this appointment. Can you feel the hardware in your leg when walking etc? 

Sorry for all the questions! X

• Posted

I agree mentally it was very hard for me too, I had just received a job placement for becoming a prison officer. It was 6 weeks after I got my cast off. So that was a stong  incentive for me to just get on with things.  It was strange getting back into being back in. A routine for work but things are going ok. 

I was able to do a emergency stop confidently after about 3-4 weeks. I can now do most things I could do before except I don’t have as much agility as I had before. But I’m sure with time and mental strength to get over this traumatic time in my life I’ll be back to my old self. I hope this gives people lots of hope of what can be achieved again after such a horrible time in their lives. I spent ages looking at stories thinking it would be months before I’d be able to walk or run . But I was positively surprised at myself, x

• Posted

Sorry forgot to answer your other question regarding feeling the hardware ..... well yes I can feel it sometimes, in the early weeks I could feel it more. It feels like a twinge that doesn’t really hurt, but feels a bit odd! Now I only feel it if I change direction quickly. But like I say it’s not painful just really odd feeling. Maybe after time it will stop feeling like it. But it’s a reminder to take things steady I guess. My surgeon suggested I wait till next season to play rugby, my pysio however has been astounded at my progression and asked why I didn’t play the full game of rugby last week (16 weeks post op) I simply didn’t out of caution as I can’t afford to get hurt and mess up my new career. I can say I’m not 100% there yet, but I’m 90% 
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. I'm not particularly worried about feeling the hardware as such more so about feeling it moving when I'm moving etc. I have a syndemosis screw which my consultant said can remain if it doesn't bother me and another one stabilising my inner ankle. I think it's just been such a shock to depend on people for the simple things we all take for granted but im slowly getting better at things. 

I wouldnt wish this injury on my worst enemy! I imagine your on your feet throughout the day being a prison officer? Does your ankle swell much during working hours? 90 per cent is fantastic considering your only 16 weeks post op, I hope my recovery will be similar. I agree with you I have done much the same googling recovery stories and have felt disheartened at times but I'm going to soldier ahead.

thank you! X

• Posted

I don't know whether you are still following this forum, but just wanted you to know that your posting gave me hope today.  I fell and had a trimalleolar fracture on September 7, 2017.  Surgery with pins and plate and 6 screws on the 9th. This experience has been the most awful of my life. The immobility and dependence on others for the simplest things is beyond frustrating.  Plus, my husband of 37 years tells me wants a divorce two weeks after my accident. Now, it is 5 weeks post-surgery and I have been relatively pain free until two days ago.  I was helping to clean out my house to put it up for sale and I think I may have accidentally upset my ankle.  I woke up in intense pain two nights ago. It felt as if someone was sticking a nail into the outer side of my ankle. I took a pain pill for the first time in 4 weeks, but it did not really help.  My ankle just feels kind of raw even though the incisions are healing nicely and the swelling is present but not terribly bad. Did anyone else experience this sort of pain? If so, did anything help ease it?  I go back to the doctor in a week, but if this pain gets worse, I may have to call him beforehand.

• Posted

I had a pretty nasty fracture, it was an arrow shape and has a plate and 7 screws in place which at times I can still feel if I turn funny. It doesn’t hurt, but feels odd. I don’t know if this will ever get better. I hope it’s not a permanent thing . Just don’t be hard on yourself, I hated the non weight baring stage but just be patient. You are healing even if you don’t think you are x
    • Posted

Thanks.  You are right, I am healing slowly but surely.  And I am lucky my situation is temporary, not permanent.
    • Posted

I'm on a fairly similar timeline as you, maybe about 10 days behind. I get a 'raw' feeling if I try and do too much around the house or keep my leg down for too long. I also get electric shock feelings occasionally at the incision sites or at the area my plate is, like you and haven't taken pain killers unless needed. However if you feel the pain is increasing speak to your doctor, it doesn't hurt to check, better safe than sorry! 

Think positive and remember this is temporary. Take care X

• Posted

Hi highly recommend that you should get the hardware taken out if you can and if there is not much risk. Your ankle will feel 100% better, literally the day after. I recommend you find a good orthopedic surgeon who knows minimally invasive techniques to do the surgery. I was up and walking the day after surgery and the stiffness and soreness gone that I had before. 
    • Posted

I'm now 7 months post op and removing the hardware seems like the only option now. I've had an increase in pain, swelling and stiffness in the last 2-3 months. Had a CT scan 2 days ago and now waiting on the results to see if I need a bone graft. This injury is truly the gift that keeps on giving 😢.

• Posted

Hi Ashleigh, 

I'm sorry to hear that! Did you re-injure it? Did it ever reach close to 100% recovery and then it backtracked or have you always had issues with it since your surgery? 

Hopefully you only require hardware removal and not a bone graft! 

Sending you the best of wishes on your CT results! 

• Posted

Hello everyone.

So I broke my left ankle (fibula) 5.5 weeks ago playing football (soccer).

I had to wait 6 days before having surgery (plate and 8 screws) and then put in temp plaster of Paris cast for 2 weeks.

Then stiches out and new blue fibreglass cast (with glitter I might add! It is nearly Xmas after all smile ) for 2 more weeks

Today I had that cast removed and my leg felt so weird...was very stiff. ..skin tight and calf totally flabby. But I was so releaved. Doc said I don't need another cast or boot.

Got home ..cleaned with wet wipe gently..had a bath and gently wipe the skin that's been there for ages

Already I am feeling more movement in my foot and able to flex ..not a lot. ..but more than when the cast came off. Doc said to move my foot as often as I can and to try and move it just before point of pain...also give time for rest and plenty of water.

As im technically 4.5 weeks post surgery...still No weight bearing for another 2 weeks...but doc said to do exercises to get the muscles moving and growing and get my movement back...we did do a standing test when I was there and all good and could put around 10kg of weight there and no pain...

Gonna take it easy for next 2 weeks and comment here then once I had my followup and make sure to do my limited exercises

Stay positive folks and don't exert yourselves early ...your body is healing (trust me I have to remind myself constantly!!!)

• Posted

So 2 more weeks in , now at 6.5 weeks. Doctors discharged me to physio...I can flex a lot more now and only really limited by the swelling which doctors said can take up to 6months to disappear.

I can stand still much more confidently now and also I attempted some smalls steps with aid of crutches...gotta say...this feels wonderful to know in a feq weeks I should be strong enough to wall unaided.

So I'll come back here after another 2 weeks and just after my first physio followup.

Stay safe everyone and keep them chins up ;-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.