Positive thinking.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, with Christmas coming up and most of us going through difficut times it would ne nice to hear some positive stories about prozac. I myself am currently going through withdrawal and I'm finding it tough but I know I can beat it. It would good to hear people tell stories of how fluoxetine helped them or how people succesfully tapered themselves off and are now living life like they once was. I know at times it can all seem too much but I do geninuely believe we can all come out of this for the better. Hope everyone who reads this is well and can share something positive no matter how small you may think it is.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi merry Christmas xx I'm on 11/12 weeks 20mg i am ok compared the first 5 weeks of torture I'm feeling better but on pericyazine for anxiety but want off them if you tapering off them how long you on them and how long to come off the do you think xxxas i wonder if i will e able to one day come off i was o them for years then decided I didn't need but life events made me depressed think I had a mini breakdown so I look back on that and i think oh my god tat was 5 weeks ago and how far I've came it's amazing how a tablet can make you get back from the brink i hope you do well coming off i wish everyone well and happiness and great heathen ing with our situations xxxxxx

• Posted

I was on fluoxetine for 4 months and tapering for 2 months. Once I got over the initial side effects they really helped me but I want to live drug free so hence the tapering. I do have withdrawal symptoms at the moment but I am telling myself as often as I can that yes they are painful and annoying now but hey will pass with time. Of course you will be able to come off them, it won't be easy but anything worth having is not easy. It will take will power and tears but you can get their. I wish you all the luck in the world in doing so but only do when you feel ready, don't rush into it. Good luck xx

• Posted

Sorry people About my spelling below it was predictive text which I should have checked hahahahahahahhaah xx
  • Posted

Well, I went from Pristiq to 30 mg of Prozac about two months ago. Pristiq wasn't quite the thing for me. After a couple of days on Prozac, the side effects were killing me! Muscle pain, agitation, suicidal thoughts etc. My doctor and i decided to lower the dose to 10 mg. didn't feel any withdrawal symptoms and today, I'm feeling better. With 10 mg a day, I can control cravings and OCD moments. I feel better.

• Posted

I am glad everything went well for you, good luck with eveything else.
  • Posted

Hi Passey64: I started taking Prozac about 30 years ago, when I was going through severe depression and anxiety. I believe that Prozac did help me get through the years when my children were young, and I was feeling overwhelmed, suffering hormonal fluctuations, and with a fairly large degree of genetic tendency to depression etc. 

Now in my early 60s, post-menopasal, and an empty nester, I have been thinking it's time to see what I'm like without Prozac. I've been tapering off slowly, and at a point where I take one 10mg capsule every three or four days. Mostly, I have been forgetting all about it, but it suddenly ocurred to me that my feelings of malaise have been due to withdrawal. I keep feeling as though I "coming down" with something like the flu - achiness, fatigue, headachy, I have a gnawing pain in my shoulder and neck. I even look sick, my face is bloated and tired, and my eyes are puffy. Sure hope that goes away soon. I look older.

But I feel optimistic. I was concerned until I realized it was just withdrawal. I'm hoping the next week before Christmas will see some improvement. My mental state is pretty good, but I'm foggy. I'm hoping that I will discover I no longer need Prozac. I was great for me, but I'm ready to live without it. 

Merry Christmas!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I'm sure with time you will forget about all your side effects. The key I find is to stay busy, motivated and most importantly embrace the bad days. They will happen but they will pass.

Good luck and merry christmas.

• Posted

I am curious as to why people are stopping it if it worked for them? I have read a lot of stories of successful withdrawal..usually using the liquid form to taper SLOWLY and for LONG periods at lower incriments. I just started taking 10 mg for anxiety and it's also helping me not binge eat, which is great. I don't plan on stopping if it helps my anxiety go away and stay away!! I know that the same amount of time that a person was on this drug should be the same amount of time weaning off of it...sometime longer. But again, I'd like to know why people stop taking it. Thank yuo! 

• Posted

I guess it's just a personal choice. I only took it for 4 months which compared to most is a very short period and yes it did help me but left me with awful joint and muscle pain on a daily basis. I now know I am ready to live life without and so far I have not took one for 15 days and I don't plan to either. I want to live without it and I know I can. Yet again my choice. If you belive you are best on it then that is what you should do, you know your body best. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.