Positive Withdrawal Experience

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys, I was on Effexor for maybe 10-12 months and worked up to 150 mg like a lot of you. I can safely say I had NOT ONE, ZERO side effects while on this drug as well as coming off of it. What I also find really strange is the fact that one day I just decided I would stop taking it cause I'd been feeling good for a while and my life was taking a turn for the better so I even STOPPED COLD TURKEY! Absolutely nothing, no side effects. When I forgot to take a dose... NOTHING. I have read sooooooo many negative stories about this drug and coming off of it and I don't get it. Am I an enigma?? Is there anyone else that this has been the case????

Effexor did a lot for me as I was severely depressed with daily suicidal thoughts and one attempted suicide where I just decided not to eat/drink and die peacefully but after 6 days I was "found out". I have not had suicidal thoughts since coming off although I haven't been able to get that I guess "good" feeling back since being off it so am considering going back on. Only because I'm slowly getting back into a rut and my minds starting to drift to the dark side again rolleyes

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh wait, sorry after reading some more I remember I did have just a tad of those "brain zaps" but it was only maybe 2x a day and just really felt like a super minor twitch.
  • Posted

Hi Travis

How long have you been off this medication I'm interested because I have been considering coming off after 4 years of taking venlafaxine. but if it seems that if within a short time without this medication we go back into depression again is it worth stopping.

Kind regards sue

• Posted

Hey Sue,

Honestly I probably came off it too early. The reason I went on is because I had extreme anxiety/depression since about grade 6 causing me to lose any kind of social network. I was thus a complete loner because I didn't allow myself to open up to anybody no matter how hard others tried.

Effexor almost completely wiped away any anxiety I had and really reduced my depression to the point that I could have great conversations with people and put myself completely out there. The mistake I made is coming off of it too soon as I had been able to connect with people again but still hadn't developed any social network/freinds although I was getting there.

I honestly think had I stayed on it another year and fully developed these relationships (I did need the help of the medication to do this) there is a decent chance I would have been able to pull through.

Genetically everyone is different though and some people were lucky enough to win the genetic lottery by naturally producing higher levels of "happy" chemicals than some of us. So honestly I don't know if it's something I will need to stay on or not but I think that to come off SSRI's in general you should:

1. Have a good social network with deep meaningful relationships

2. Exercise and eat healthy

3. Have hobbies that keep you active, involved with other people, and inspire you

Another REALLY important factor is that you really should be able to REFRAME the negative thoughts that obviously come along with being depressed I'd say before you get off the meds. Therapy can definitely help here as well as some self help books.

I hope that helps!

Travis

• Posted

Oh and to answer your question more specifically, I was off the medication for 1.5 years before going back onto a dose of 75mg Effexor and now switching to 50mg pristiq.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.