Possible ACL tear?! Please help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 7 weeks ago I hurt my knee playing hockey. I was doing a "twisting/pivot" motion and then suddenly I heard a pop and my right knee "gave out". I had a brace and KT tape on my knee when this happened, my knee was swollen a lbit and the swelling increased the next day but it was not extreme. Fast forward 7 weeks and I've been to a physiotherapy about 5 times and I'm still experienceing pain in my knee. My knee is also a tiny bit swollen. The pain occurs on the inside of my knee and it feels like it's also in the centre of my knee. Any help\ recommendations are welcomed!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Get to a sports medicine ortho asap. Those guys see injuries the reg surgeons and therapists don't. Generally speaking, ACL damage is handled either by therapy or surgery and then therapy. For a competitive athlete getting things back to normal after.serious damage and surgery, a year of rehab and strengthening Is the norm. Again, getting to a sports medicine Dr is your 1st stop. Don't put a brace on it and expect to ever get things functioning properly

• Posted

Hi Haley

Need to see a consultant, to get x ray or MRI or both.

Good healing

• Posted

I got an X-ray about 5 weeks ago, all came back good. I have an orthopaedic surgeon appointment in about 4 weeks since my family doctor can't refer me to get a MRI.

• Posted

Hope it all goes well for you, I did my cartilage at 18, TKR at 62

Good healing

• Posted

About SIXTEEN YEARS ago I hurt my knee playing hockey. I was doing a "twisting/pivot" motion and then suddenly I heard a pop and my right knee "gave out"...  Just about put an end to my 45 years of playing the game.  Turned out that I had ripped my femoral condyle cartilage clean off...gone, goodbye.

You need to see a SPORTS orthopedic surgeon...one from a group that works with your local pro/college teams.  He'll/she'll do an x-ray (maybe) but surely an MRI which may OR MAY NOT be conclusive.  In my case, the imaging showed nothing.  Doc scoped my knee and fixed the problem.  Over the next few years, I tore my meniscus and then repeated BOTH injuries on the other knee.  Four scopes in all.

The end result after all these years is an artificial hip, a metal knee (one more to go) and three spine fusions.  Hockey is the greatest game in the world but you pay for it in the end.  

Get off the internet and stop trying to self-diagnose.  See a good ortho and get it fixed.  Good chance that you'll be hanging up your skates.  When I had my hip done, I asked the doc about resuming playing.  Told me that the hip would last 25 years...but only THREE if I went back to playing hockey.  Lots of weeping but sometimes the Universe puts up a big stop sign...better listen...  With 4 1/2 pounds of metal in me, I'm the TSA's worst nightmare at the airport...standing there in my NY Rangers jersey...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.