Possible ankle sprain and severe swelling

Posted , 2 users are following.

I recently started Cross Fit training and am very unfit. Just over a week ago I did a fair bit of running and noticed the next day my left ankle was very swollen. To date the swelling is worse and I am finding it very painful to walk on. I also have a strange pinched nerve/stretched tendon like feeling in my leg. I went to the drs on Wednesday and my xray, inflammation blood test and ultrasound came back ok, except for a lot of fluid showing on scan. Went back to Dr today and although he doesn't think it is, ordered a blood test to check for clots. I am now totally freaking out. I have to admit Im a very unco runner and was not wearing the best shoes. Anyone else experience anything similar?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Kerry,

My ankle sprain/fracture was due to a fall on ice, so I have no direct comparison to your sprain from exercise.

From your brief description of your problem and symptoms (you left out many details that could be helpful) I assume you suffered a high grade sprain with no bone fractures.

You said the doctor gave you a relatively benign diagnosis with x-rays, blood test, and ultrasound turning out  just fine (just some swelling). But you said nothing of what he recommended for your swollen, sprained ankle. If it is painful to walk on something is wrong. If it is what I suspect, you should be off your feet and into a boot until a more definitive diagnosis can be determined.

If it were me I would see a competent sports medicine physician that knows a lot about ankle injuries. A serious sprain is absolutely nothing to shrug off and hope for the best.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for replying. No fractures or torn ligaments etc were picked up from the xray/scan so don't have much to go by. My dr organised a d-dimer blood test which was elevated, hence fear of blood clot. Had a further scan yesterday but no clots were picked up thank god. Am thinking Ive jarred it?? Ive been elevating which is helping swelling but still painful. Good luck to you too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.