Possible anxiety symptoms or something more...?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with anxiety last year after starting my first job in a stressful consulting environment (long hours and tight deadlines). I had the usual symptoms of heart palpitations, sweaty palms, fatigue, etc. I managed to cope with exercise and de-stressing techniques. I also made an effort to find a new job with a lot less pressure.

I have been in my new job for the past 10 months and it is a much better environment. I still experience a few of the anxiety symptoms (breathlessness) but no longer have the horrible heart palpitations. I thought that I had my anxiety under control - however, the past few months I have noticed odd physical symptoms and I am not sure if they are related to my anxiety or possibly something more.

Basically, I have certain days (not every day) when I wake up extremely exhausted and find getting out of bed a huge effort. I sometimes feel nauseas shortly after waking up and have no appetite. The rest of the day seems like an uphill battle. I yawn constantly and feel fidgety and on edge. At times, I even find myself falling asleep in meetings/presentations. All I really want to do on these days, is leave work and go home and curl up in bed and sleep! Obviously, I cannot do that due my responsibilities at work – so I often try to fight through the day using coffee. However, I usually get nothing done at work as I am totally unable to focus. My legs and hands ache and I feel completely drained. It almost feels impossible to keep my eyes open at my desk (which looks so unprofessional to the rest of my team if they notice). When I do eventually get home, I feel so drained and head straight to bed. I usually wake up feeling much better (and normal) the next day.

I have been trying to put together the pieces to see if there was a trigger for why I would have these sudden onsets of extreme fatigue. All I can really tell is that this usually happens around stressful times at work – such as if I have an important presentation or deliverable to prepare or if I have a lot on my plate.

It even happened on a day that I was writing a huge exam (CFA Level 1 to those familiar) and I honestly don’t know how I made it through the entire exam as I kept yawning and found it extremely difficult to focus – somehow I pushed through. But needless to say, by the end of the exam, I was the most tired I have ever been. It felt like I had run a marathon! I had never experienced something like this before and I have written a number of exams as a student and was always able to cope.

When this happened initially, I immediately contacted my GP and he performed all of the tests (glucose, iron, thyroid) and everything was fine. All he picked up was a vitamin D deficiency for which I am now taking supplements.

I honestly have no idea what it could be as I have not heard of anyone with anxiety who has these symptoms but since my bloods came back normal – it is the only possible explanation I have! I am hoping there is someone else out there who can relate and help! I cannot have this continue as it is affecting my productivity at work! I cannot keep taking time off because “I’m tired”!!!!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have "anxiety" I get really tiered like it just comes over me I have breathing problems no racing heart ext I could not answer your question although it sounds like depression a lot too hun x
    • Posted

Thank you for your response! I hope it's not depression but will talk to my doctor about it. Hope your "anxiety" symptoms gets better soon. xx
    • Posted

I meant to ask if there is anything that you do to cope with the tiredness? Any tips?
    • Posted

Nothing that I have found it just comes over me suddenly I just try and stay as alert as I can as I feel like I'm going to go in a deep sleep sorry xx
    • Posted

No need to apologize. It's good to know there is someone else out there who can relate. It is quite scary going through it alone. Thank u and take care!
  • Posted

Hi

Coffee stimulates anxiety.

For tiredness have a blood test to check your vitamins especially the B vitamins.

• Posted

Hi Tanya. My doctor did check b vitamins. All fine. This is why it is such a mystery to me. Also the fact that it happens randomly and not everyday would suggest it isn't a vitamin defficiency. Thank you for your response.
    • Posted

Hi

Its probably just the anxiety its mentslly exhausting therefore you will feel more drained and tired. Try not to stress much about it.

• Posted

Hi Geraldine, I have to agree with Stephx, sounds like mild depression with anxiety symptoms. Easily treated by your GP or you could try St John's Wart which is a natural anti depressant and great for treating mild depression.

Whilst at the health store you could ask about a pick me up tonic for fatigue.

Neil xx

• Posted

Thanks, Neil. Will get some St. John's Wort today and give it a try. Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.