possible aura?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi my names allison and im 31 ive suffered from headaches since I was 18 my headaches have always been chronic normally ill have a headache at least twice a week. I was diagnosed with migraine at 25 by three different doctors and one neurologists I was also diagnosed with a cavanoma on my occipital part of the brain which did bleed years ago I have yearly mra to check and its ok I was told this cavanoma will nit cause migraine. Anyway the main thing thst has me concerned is for the last 8 years maybe twice a year ill get this werid sensation in my brain all of a sudden its like my mind is going super fast and its loud in my head like yelling or screaming but not nothing around me is fast just my head its madding this sensation wi last a few minutes to hours im not hearing voices this is only in my brain . Another strange symptom ive been having us im getting really intense deja vu feeling that last non stop for up to an hour also ive been having intense James vu. I also have experienced alice in wonderland symdrome for years I saw my regular neurosurgen he said that the fast screaming head and deja vu ect can be. Migraine aura? Also I said to him i dont always get a migrain after the supposed aura the neurosurgen said it can be a silent migraine had anybody ever experienced these feelings with there migraine disorder im freaking out i feel like im going to go nuts please help.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Have you had an EEG to rule out a seizure disorder? All seizure disorders are not evident by outward traditional symptoms. I have known people to have similiar stories and be thought to have a Psychiatric disorder. This is a very easy scape goat if u get enough docs not able to give u answers that r not guesses. Have u tried Depakote , Tegretol or Topamax etc for migraines by chance? These drugs can be used to decrease migraines , and also classified as neuroleptics that can actually help w certain seizure disorders. My husband had to get a 4 hr then 8 hour EEG test that proved he was having absence seizures that the Neurologist referred to as electrographical seizures. He would complain of headaches frequently , but took years to put a proper diagnosis together. This may sound a little overwhelming, but worth looking into. Some of us are not textbook. The racing thoughts and loudness that happens like twice a yr could be different outside the box issues. Do u have any family history of bipolar disorder by chance? Do these Alice in Wonderland moments seem to fall around times of decrease sleep, stress, pain etc. ? I have a daughter that has had two seizures in her life at the age of 18 yrs old. She was also diagnosed with a chemical imbalance that relates to the bipolar disorder that is still not fully understood. Daughters racing thoughts , lack of sleep, irritability and she describes it as thoughts that will keep coming up like obsessing over things that make no sense to her seem to show up in the fall and around May ? You might keep a log of dates and events surrounding these episodes so u can see any patterns ? They do have neuropsychiatrist , but if u can't find one aN evaluation by a Psychiatrist would be another idea. I know this might be scary or labeling , but it sounds like u have suffered for quite some time so I'm trying to not let a leaf left unturned. ADHD could be another differential diagnosis. I have not heard of such intense symptoms u described above just being caused by a migraine, but nothing is impossible. I can't inforce enough to get another opinion w evaluation. This all goes back to the brain so again it is complex, but not impossible to treat w the right tests, thorough evaluations and someone that will listen to u to think outside the box. There are other possibilities that come to mind, but think I have talked enough. Hope this helps in some way. Blessings to you and better health.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa thank you for your reply im being sent for a eeg I kind of ruled out seizures because most people on fourm said thwy get deja vu feelings for under a minute mine last up to an hour. I did think bi polar but I dont fit the symptoms i dont get depressed or feel overly hyper its a difficult symptom to explain just all of a sudden my brain feels like its zooming so super fast and it feels loud in my head as if my minds screaming ir yellig but its not sorry its very hard to explian when it gets really fast and loud I feel like banging my head into a wall which I would never do but does get really intense ay times
  • Posted

Have you had an EEG to rule out a seizure disorder? All seizure disorders are not evident by outward traditional symptoms. I have known people to have similiar stories and be thought to have a Psychiatric disorder. This is a very easy scape goat if u get enough docs not able to give u answers that r not guesses. Have u tried Depakote , Tegretol or Topamax etc for migraines by chance? These drugs can be used to decrease migraines , and also classified as neuroleptics that can actually help w certain seizure disorders. My husband had to get a 4 hr then 8 hour EEG test that proved he was having absence seizures that the Neurologist referred to as electrographical seizures. He would complain of headaches frequently , but took years to put a proper diagnosis together. This may sound a little overwhelming, but worth looking into. Some of us are not textbook. The racing thoughts and loudness that happens like twice a yr could be different outside the box issues. Do u have any family history of bipolar disorder by chance? Do these Alice in Wonderland moments seem to fall around times of decrease sleep, stress, pain etc. ? I have a daughter that has had two seizures in her life at the age of 18 yrs old. She was also diagnosed with a chemical imbalance that relates to the bipolar disorder that is still not fully understood. Daughters racing thoughts , lack of sleep, irritability and she describes it as thoughts that will keep coming up like obsessing over things that make no sense to her seem to show up in the fall and around May ? You might keep a log of dates and events surrounding these episodes so u can see any patterns ? They do have neuropsychiatrist , but if u can't find one aN evaluation by a Psychiatrist would be another idea. I know this might be scary or labeling , but it sounds like u have suffered for quite some time so I'm trying to not let a leaf left unturned. ADHD could be another differential diagnosis. I have not heard of such intense symptoms u described above just being caused by a migraine, but nothing is impossible. I can't inforce enough to get another opinion w evaluation. This all goes back to the brain so again it is complex, but not impossible to treat w the right tests, thorough evaluations and someone that will listen to u to think outside the box. There are other possibilities that come to mind, but think I have talked enough. Hope this helps in some way. Blessings to you and better health.
  • Posted

I get what is called Aphalgic Migraines.  These are what are referred to as "silent".  I get all the auras of a classic migraine without the pain.  At first they were worst than my actual painfilled one because I had no idea what was going on.  I thought I was having a stroke the first time it happened.  Raised blood pressure, numbness down the left side of my face and arm, difficulty breathing.  I even called my husband and told him to tell the kids I loved them and to call me an ambulance. (I was stopped on the side of the road). 

Did end up in the hospital..had an EEG, CT Scan, MRI.. that's when I was diagnosed.

I also get flashing lights, memory fog, mind racing and sometimes it's hard to string together two words.  It can be very frightening.  Knowing what it is has aleviated a lot of the fear but sometimes I have to take a lot of deep breaths and remind myself that it's only a migraine.

So far I haven't found anything that can stop these and I've been having them now for over 10 1/2 years. 6 of them undiagnosed.  I've also been having classic w/pain for the past 25 years.  I'm on Frovatriptans for that.

So, you're not going nuts.. unfortunately this stuff comes with the territory.  You've just got to figure out your way of coping.  Good luck and let me know how it goes. 

Sunni

• Posted

Hi Sunni thanks for your reply the racing mind is probably one of my worst symptoms its almost like my minds going so fast my thoughts feel like there screaming at me i got the sensation last night during a bad headache is this how you describe your racing mind? . I also get pins and needles in my face but no headache after the pins and needles and ive suffered from vertigo and balance problems since I was 19 im 31 now also I do have neck issues so my neck muscles are very tight at times. Have you gotten deja vu with your aura before when ive gotten the deja vu its lasted an hour which is really uncomfortable? . And at times I get a feeling of unease and feel like dooms coming im not sure if thats a symptom of a migraine aura? Thank you for you message its all quite scary this.

• Posted

feels like I'm on fast forward with no button to shut it off.  does your pins and needles feel like when you've been to the dentist and you're unfreezing???  I get the numbness along my jaw, under my eye, and down the left arm from my elbow to my thumb.  the dizzyness can be crazy (I've fell into walls...lol).  My doctor actually prescribed muscle relaxers because I get a stiff neck every time I get one.

I don't have any quick fixes, wish I did.. I just keep reminding myself it's because of the migraine and try to distract myself.

Keep in touch and if you ever need to chat you can PM me anytime.

Sunni 

• Posted

Hu Sunni I didn't realise that you messaged me back, the pins and needles is strange I get it near my lips and around my eyes and nose it feels like when you sleep on your arm funny that kind of pins and needles. I also feel like im walking into walls ive felt like that for many years. And the fast brain feeling now on top of it just sucks it was only till the neurologists I saw yesterday told me that this is a aura symptom I got over thinking I was going absolutely nuts i started to stress that I was maybe bipolar or psychotic causes its so intensely fast and the loudness is nuts. Thank you very much for your reply.
    • Posted

Hi Allison, no worries..lol you have a lot on your mind.  literally!

all your syptoms sound right on par for the auras I experience.  can be very frustrating to try to explain to people who haven't experienced them.  Have you had the crystals in your ears checked?  If they've come out of place that sometimes can account for the dizziness.  But it is definitely an aura too.  I've got a really good neuro here and he's helped me understand and cope with them a lot.

• Posted

Hi Sunni thanks for the reply again, I haven't had my ears checked that's one thing ill get on to, I was wondering if you have experienced this before ive noticed for the last few months out of the blue I will start to feel very tied and my head feels very heavy kinda like my head feels like it could pop and its like its very hard to concentrate then after these symptoms ill get a bad headache come on and the headache will only last for an hour maybe two hours sometimes the headache will only last ten minutes then it just vanishes and im left feeling very fatigued. Normally if I do get a headache it will last all day so this is a new symptom I have been having i forgot to mention.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.