Possible B12 deficiency

Posted , 6 users are following.

Please help.

I've been feeling dreadful for apx 18 months now. Had bloods done 16 months ago - all clear, however, I contacted the path lab yesterday to ask exactly what tests were done.... everything but my vitamin levels.

My symptoms are as follows:

Severe dizziness

Feeling of being detached from my surroundings

Wobbly when walking (like I'm veering off to the side)

Tinnitus

Occasional pins and needles, just in left hand

Muscle aches and pains in neck, shoulders, legs, feet

Sore joints, mainly my knees

Occasional headache

Horrendous periods

Ovulation pain

Foggy brain

Can't think of the correct word to use in the context of the conversation

Forgetfulness

Irritability, anxiety, panic attacks

Cold intolerance.

I can't think of anymore (there are probably loads but due to brain fog can't think of anymore)

Please can anyone help. I'm having a telephone consultation with my doctor on Monday, does anyone think its worth requesting a vitamin B12 check.

Thanks in advance,

Donna (39, two weeks off being 40)

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Yes sounds like it could be, but thyroid problems would throw up similar symptoms.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, my thyroid came back normal on my last lot of bloods but I suppose 16 months is a long time so anything could have gone wrong with my health since then smile. Thanks again
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you feel so bad.  I had all the above symptoms and was tested for B12 deficiency.  Turns out I must have had pernicious anemia and very low b12 for years according to my doctor.  Been on b12 injections for over 2 years now and some things have improved but when my injection is due I get foggy brain,cant get words right and tinnitus gets really bad.  It is definitely worth discussing this with your doctor.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I'm definitely going to request a test. Today has been really bad with the dizzies and tinnitus sad
  • Posted

I agree that it could be P.A. Ask for a blood test to see if that's the case. I bet you'll be pleased to get it sorted as 18 months is a long time feeling crappy. Good luck. 
    • Posted

Thank you smoo, yes you're right, I'm fed up with it now sad
  • Posted

I agree with you and the others - it does sound like PA/low B12, but you'll need the tests to be sure.  I don't wish it on anyone, but it's something that does seem easier to manage and control than other conditions you could have such as thyroid. (I wasn't aware of PA and was afraid I had MS by the time I brought myself to speak with my dr. about symptoms...I was so relieved it was this "simple" for so many things gone wrong!!)
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I'm exactly the same, its the balance thing and dizziness that scares me the most. I've convinced myself its something neurological sad I don't know about the other ladies amongst us but my symptoms are dreadful around ovulation and menstruation, but particularly ovulation??
    • Posted

HUGS to you, Donna!!

I have vertigo, too, and still dizzy at times but for sure it is worse with B12!!  To be honest, it is probably neurological - but also reversible!!  You just need to boost your levels back up and keep them there.  It takes a while but you'll start to feel improvement in days/weeks.

My cycles vary greatly, but for years I've had mittersmerz, which is ovulation pain. OW! I agree, it can be as much or more bothersome than regular menstrual pain!!  Sorry...that I still have most cycles, even with B12 help.  

I know you haven't had the proper bloodwork to know - but it does seem quite likely that you're at least deficient in B12

• Posted

Awww. Thank you. I too have suffered with mid cycle pain for a long time - nearly 16 yrs or so sad

I spoke with my GP on Monday and he is going to do the relevant blood work, however, I had to really push him for it. He said I didn't have any of the symptoms???

Thanks again smile

• Posted

By the way - I'm glad you got the info and confirmation you needed to push for the test.  If this is "all" that's wrong, you'll be okay in time... GL!!
  • Posted

If we can see you have lots of b12 symptoms how can your gp not!

Hope it gives you an answer good luck let us all know the outcome.

• Posted

It was a telephone consultation and I could actually hear him tapping away on the internet hahaha. He was on NHS symptoms checker because I had the same page up and he was reading exactly, word for word what was on my screen!! In the end I had to tell him to scroll down a bit further to check out the advanced symptoms 😂. Worrying really lol
    • Posted

That's kinda funny...(and kinda sad...) Thank you, Internet!  And, Thank You, NHS!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.