Possible B12 deficiency

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys,

I am just looking for some confirmation, could I have B12 deficiency? This winter I became very ill. I was not sleeping at all, felt anxious all the time, and the worst part was this - sort of - humming in my ear. 

My doc put me on anti-anxiety drugs and I did begin to feel better. I still feel really tired though and - at times - also a bit depressed. Sometimes my tongue seems to swell and it's like it doesn't fit my mouth. I also recognise the ataxia and afasia symptoms to a certain degree. 

Since I was so depressed, and this wasn't the first time, I recently also had testing done and discovered that I have a common mutation that is called MTRR and reduces my capacity to make active B12.

Would it be wise to test for B12 deficiency? I would love to test my active B12, but I am not sure I can convince my doc to do this. I do think this is the only way to find out if I have enough active B12. 

I had testing done before. My value in 2012 was 330 pmol/l.

I would love to hear your suggestions.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am not a medically qualified person but certainly you need another serum b12 test done after four years especially if you are having some of the symptoms of B12 deficiency and as marion29181 said "330 isn't particularly high".  Your Folate level also needs to be checked as the two work together.

I hope you get to fceel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.