Possible backlash from epidural?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone. Today I hit my 3 month mark post bilateral knee replacement. Boy, it's been a long, slow hard road. I am doing well I think, as far as my knees go but now my lower back is taking center stage. I've had lower back problems for a long time but it was under control. I know the shift in my new alignment has caused new irritation in my lower back and pelvis. But I am also wondering if having an epidural during my surgery caused more problems for my lower back. It seems they gave me the shot right where I have massive nerve issues. Does anyone know if there is a risk for epidurals causing any kind of damage? And if so, can one recover from it?  I've never had one before until my surgery. Thanks in advance for your input~

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carrie I am at the same stage as you. I don’t know but don’t think was epidural that’s causing your back pain.I have had 2 spinal surgeries with instrumentation but the one in my lumber spine didn’t really work but was managing pain reasonably well.However from my tkr my back is agony ,I am eventually coping okay with knee but my back is dreadful.I don’t know what I can do now to help my back as I think over time I’ve had every spinal injections known to man and more surgery is not an option.

I had spinal for total hip and it didn’t make my back worse.I am at a loss.

• Posted

Thank you Pat. Sorry to hear your back is bad too.  This morning I found some stretches to do for lower back problems on Youtube. It helped relax the tightness for a few minutes then went right back to being tight and painful. Somedays are better than others. I'm glad to know it may not be an added irritant from the epidural. I do see a Chiropractor every week. I think maybe getting the rest of my body toned up will help bring a balance to all my muscle groups and calm down my back. 

• Posted

I had sever back pain, could hardly walk. I kept telling the Dr/Rehab my legs were not the same length based on the way I was standing. They  both said I was wrong. One morning I stopped at WalMart and bought a package of rubber heal lifts and put both in my my non surgical side shoe. Within minutes the pain was gone. Maybe the bones are the same length, but I range from one lift to 4 in my shoe depending on where the pain is and how strong. I still stand lopsided when I don't use them, but it made a world of difference. 

• Posted

I had both my legs done at the same time and have more confidence that they are both the same length now than before.  I will ask my chiropractor though. Thank you for your input.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.