Possible breakthrough for AFib.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I recently read an article in the newspaper about a new treatment for AFib that one million Brits suffer from. Apparently, scientists have invented a non-invasive method to pinpoint the electrical "storm waves" which trigger AFib. Surgeons currently have to insert a catheter to try to find them and the method is not effective. The information is key to diagnosing and treating AFib which can cause heart failure and strokes. Experts have developed a method to pinpoint it in 93 per cent of cases. They used a computer model with a virtual human heart-torso linked to an electrocardiogram. Professor Henggui Zhang of the University of Manchester in the UK said, "This is very exciting research. It could lead to new developments to tackle heart problems more effectively and simply." AF is usually treated with drugs or a pacemaker.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS FANTASTIC AND LONG OVERDUE.

Afib patients (for decades) have been using prehistoric and antiquated treatments which do not work. Can anybody name one medication or invasive procedure which puts an end to one's AFIB? NOTHING IN MODERN SCIENCE HAS CURED AFIB. NOTHING.

I hope the above facts and info become a Game Changer for so many of who suffer from this debilitating heart defect and disease.

• Posted

and so say all of us if they are looking for guinnea pigs I am game x
  • Posted

I saw the same article, in The [formerly Glasgow] Herald. It's pretty obviously a straight reprint of a press release, with an erroneous headline that implies that this is a treatment - whereas it is actually a test procedure. Treatment will presumably still rely on ablation. It does look like good news though, as it should enable the catheter ablation to be targetted better. At least that is how I read it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.