Possible cause of vertigo??

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 66 and have had vertigo episodes for 3 years, usually months inbetween episodes. About three weeks ago I awoke with a bad one, couldn't raise my head without the world spinning. I remembered the manuever my Dr used the last time I went to her and laying on my left side I turned my head as far left as I could and after a couple minutes sat up very slowly and I was ok. Then had similar episodes over the next few days, much more frequently than usual. I then realized these episodes started about the time I started using my first electric toothbrush! It is the ocolating back and forth type that vibrates and I noticed it vibrated my whold head. I stoped using it and guess what?? My vertigo stopped! Not saying it cured my vertigo but I believe it had an effect on my inner ear and brought on the vertigo. You may want to try not using one for a while!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Vibration of the skull is known to displace the otolith crystals in the inner ear (BPPV) in susceptible individuals.  This also happens after certain surgeries.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

It might be true. I'm a senior lady with mild BPPV, I took some electroacupuncture sessions and I believe it triggered mine. I believe it had an effect on my inner ear and brought on the vertigo. So we better avoid any vibration close to our ears.

• Posted

Wow!! That is really 'interesting information I never would have thought about That. Thank you for sharing.

• Posted

Yes! I had my first attack of BPPV 20-odd years ago (displaced crystals in the inner ear). Shortly after it started I had to have a root canal in my upper jaw on the same side as the affected ear. When the dentist was using the modern, high-speed drill I didn't feel anything. However, all my teeth are filled with rheumatic calcifications that are hard to get through so he sometimes tried the older, low-speed drill. I found I could only tolerate that for about half a minute at a time, then the spinning got so bad I thought I was going to throw up! It clearly depends on the frequency of the vibrations. Does your toothbrush have different speeds? Maybe speeding it up might help.

• Posted

Thanks, I think I can relate something here because I also experience vertigo after having hair cut.
    • Posted

After hair cut? It doesn't use any vibration! Maybe only change of position of your head?!?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.