Possible changes to Barretts cells

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. i am being monitored as i have a small area of Barretts cells and a hernia. after my last scope in October they reported possible cell changes and i am due to have another in February to check things. Meanwhile my consultant has instructed I raise my dose of lansoprazole to 60MG and take it all at one time. I had previously been taking 45mg split into two doses daily. I started feeling sick and had diahrroea almost immediately and have had a blistery rash every now and again. i am wondering if this dose is just too high and if there is an alternative medication. the doc has done blood and stool sample tests this week , and i have no results as yet , but i have had a rubbish time over christmas with these problems. THE doctors are not all that knowledgable and say to stick with what the consultant says. they think that the large dose has surpressed the acid so much that its possible normal gut bacteria have been able to get a bit of a hold. what does anyone think? should i stick this out till next scope? have almost decided to get the hernia repair op. (but a little scared of this) this would hopefully mean I am lansoprazole free. need to get confirmation of cell changes to move on Barretts problem.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi, ive had the operation and yes its oainful afterwards but not as bad as i thought it would be. see if theyll offer you Eomeprazole which is better than omeprazole and i havent had any bad feelings taking this medication.

not having heartburn instantly anymore is fantastic too.

the hardest part after the op is having a very limited liquid diet for 6 weeks.

personally its the best decision i made and it saved my life as the barretts had changed.

Its your decision but id advise the op.

• Posted

HI Linda

i was diagnosed with Barratts and a hiatus hernia yesterday following an endoscopy, needless to say i'm a bit freaked out. i have been told to go to my GP for PPI's and to take the full dose ? i will do that on monday. i have some PPI's so will start to take them.

what operation did you have ?

i would be interested in any helpful tips you have .

many thanks

C

• Posted

hi..... when you say, saved your life, did you mean you had ablation after your operation? Or is it because you are getting regular endoscopies now ?

• Posted

It's not uncommon for the Barrett's length to shrink or for it to go away entirely in some cases (upwards of 30%), particularly if the length is less than 3cm. Ablation isn't required in those cases.

• Posted

it saved my life because they found the barretts cells had changed and i had stage one cancer. i need regular checks and medication for life but im 100% so much better and healthier than i have been in over 20 years.

• Posted

it was the nissin funduplication operation.

MY symptoms disappeared almost instantly after the op.

scariest but best decision i ever made.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.