Possible Coeliac?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am 18 and for the past 6 weeks I have been suffering from a strange combination of symptoms. It started with a general discomfort in my upper abdomen below the ribs along with pains. These pains are intermittent and are sometimes felt in the back and come in waves. I then developed a lightheadedness which is actually worse than the abdominal pains as it is having an impact on my concentration. I also get occasional pains in other parts of the body as well. My stools don't look right and vary dramatically in that sometimes there appears to be undigested food in them and they are easy to pass. I also have very little energy and feel more tired than usual. I have had 3 blood tests and liver function, kidney function, glucose are all fine. I have also had an MRI and gallbladder, bile duct and pancreas were normal. I am conscious that I have been loosing weight, particularly in my arms and legs. My doctor doesn't seem to have a clue what it is as all tests so far have come back normal and so I am trying to come up with possible suggestions. I only thought of coeliac disease as my Grandmother had it, however her symptoms were a lot more extreme than mine. Does anyone think it's worth getting tested for coeliac disease? Thanks.  

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes harry and make sure you stick to your present diet until the tests, even if you still feel crap. Sounds horrible for you. Could you see if there is a GP that has an 'interest' in gastro stuff inc Coeliac as most GPOs only have a limited understanding of the disease. Good luck matey. If those tests still come back negative why not try a modified diet?

• Posted

Ok thanks for your help. I've requested for coeliacs to be checked in my blood test tomorrow.

• Posted

I forgot to say that the disease is in your family and there may have been other undiagnosed members (like my late father who must have been Coeliac and probably two of my Grandchildren are showing signs now). have a look at the Coeliac UK facebook site. There is loads of info on there and there are many other young people dealing with simialr problems. Don't feel isolated, there are always other folk to talk with on line.

• Posted

My coeliac blood test came back as negative so my doctor is referring me to a gastroenterologist as everything has come back normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.