Possible costochondrits? please help

Posted , 6 users are following.

have not been diagnosed yet. I have been having , almost daily for about 5 months, started out as a slight pain in back, then started getting the chest pain (usually on left side, soimetimes on the right side too), was very scary, went to a local clinic, they did ekg & said heart was ok, told me to go home & take ibuprofrin 3x per day for 3 weeks and pain is still here, possibly worse (mainly back, sometimes chest, sometimes both at same time. The pain is mainly in back, upper back between shoulder blades & bottom (kind of in small of back). I went for follow up yesterday w/nurse practioner, they think its a back issue. I have been thinking it was costochondritis for a while from some things i have read on internet. was curious if my symptoms match, chest pain (left and right side, mainly left),  relief when take bra off, sometimes feel that a forced burp will provide relief, continuous back pain (more than chest pain), burning or stabbing  in upper between shoulderblades, & in lower (kinda in small of back area), weakness of hands, occasional numbness/pain in forearms, hands, feet, other weird, & random shooting pains (not too often) in rious places (armw, legs, etc) Please help, this is extremly scary!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

So sorry you are going through this! Most of what you mention sounds like Costro. I was diagnosed in Dec 2015. I am now seeing a rheumatologist and go for gentle PT. Also ice helps alot and a tens unit. I t does get better. You need to know you are not alone and that eventhough its painful and scary its not serious. Steroids can help as well. I take neurontin(Non narcotic, or steroidal or anti inaflammatory) It helps too, but eliminating as much sugar in your diet is the key. Inflammation feeds on sugar!!!

Good luck. All will be well..Promise

• Posted

Thank you! This is now mainly in my back, my chest did hurt off & on on left today (on left side) but, back pain almost all time now (hurts either between shoulder blades on top or in small of back, on bottom). from what i read on internet, i was under the impression that costochondritis was mainly chest pain? mine is mainly back pain, is this typical for this condition? any info/insight would be great. Thank you!

• Posted

Grace can you please explain what neurontin is I am feeling very frustrated just been to the chiro and she says I have the wurst Costo she has ever seen. I think she is stumped as to why I am not getting better. I have tried diet I take heaps of anti inflammatory tablets I ice I stretch and are having a week off work and nothing is improving it. My chiro wants me to have and MRI as she can't work out why my ribs are so inflamed

• Posted

yes. I was first prescrbed it for menopausal hot flashes, but then my Dr said patients have had much success with Neurontin. Its used for patients with Diabetic nerve pain, and years ago was used for seizures. Costo also hurts my back, shoulders, and chest. My Dr has increaased my dosage slowly. but it has helped me alot. In adition to streching very slowly (My upper body) for like 3 mins everyday. Motrin and steroids didnt really help me. soft ice packs help alot. Soaking in Epsom salt baths really helps as well. Let me know how it works out. If yoy look up meds that may help costco Neurontin is one of them. Speak to your dr. Good luck. Hang in there. Relief is on the way..I promise smile

• Posted

I too have pain in my back and shoulders and sometimes my left arm as well as my chest. Its all normal for Costo. Neurontin was prescribed and really helps. as well as baths with Epsom salt. and gentle upper body streches for like 3 mins a day. I see a counselor..which helps with my anxiety. If your seeing a chiropractor..just  make sure they are being very gentle with you. It will get better........ Think positively and get rest when you need it. Good luck. Let me know how you make out. Hang in there smile

• Posted

Sounds very much like Costco from my symptoms also I can't wear a bra very long at all it hurts all the way around that area.it a scary at first try to relax and let go of things that stress you out it makes it worse. I cut caffine out of my diet almost completely changed eating habits completely. Sometimes hear helps so does ice good luck reading up on this is also helpful. Anything you can change to help your health is good. Meditation for relaxation is good also. I can't take the ibuprophin or alot of the drugs people have mentioned because of warfarin which is a blood thinning medication so I have to find other ways to relieve symptoms hope everything works out for you.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the response! I have been in pain for around 5 months now, with other strange symptoms & don't know what is wrong with me & am pretty much alone with my two young children, very SCARYY!! You are right, I have noticed, especially in the lasweek or so, when I get upset or scared it makes these symptoms & pain worse. it seems like the pain has now set in my back, both upper & lower now , still with some chest side) is this typical for costo for pain to mainly be in the back? i also have weakenss in wrists, mainly left. doc put me on methylprednisolone steroid 6 day pack, this has not helped at all and this is day 4, have u taken these, if so, did they work for you? Thank you!!!

• Posted

I still think it is Costron...I also have the same symptoms and I have acid reflux. I think there is a connection. I also get a lot of burping when I am in a flare up with Costron..This has been going on with me for 4-5 years and gradually came on more often. I just take Ibroprofin twice daily during the flare up and use a moist heating pad on low for 20 minutes as soon as I go to bed. When the flare up gets better. I don't use the Ibprofin or heating pad. I also have Cervical Stenosis in my neck. This tends to get worse during my flare ups.Also stress really flares up the Costron...I try to stay positive. My Dr. did a back xray and found nothing. WHen you get to worrying which only makes it worse, hand the worries to God and be positive. Deal with the flare ups and go about your business and enjoy the days that you have no symptoms. You'll find that the flaare ups will come less often if you quit worrying so much and accept it what it is rather than continually going to Dr to find answers. Be positive...........

• Posted

thank you so much for the comment! I have een sic with pain & symptoms daily for around five months now & still don't know exactly what is wrong with me, nurse practioner has me scheduled with chiropractor next week. do you have back pain (upper, between shoulder blades & lower (in small of back area) & also, my wrists are weak & kind of numb, alittle more left wrist & sometmes numb feet & hands? i also still get the chest pains (mainly on left side, sometimes right side) but pain is now mainly in back. I am also starting to develop anxiety, panic disorders, & depression because of all of this pain & unknowing. Thank you!!!!

• Posted

It sounds exactly like Costo to me. You have Costo when the back rib (hinges) tighten with stress bad posture or having an infection. This then causes the front ribs to shorten and rub together which causes inflammation. I have found that a chiro adjustment between my back area where the ribs connect help also I ice the ribs or stern am or breast area 5 mins on 5 mins off. You can also lay on one of those stretchy foam rollers with your hands behind your head for a few mins twice a day this pulls out the tense back area and expands the chest. Also I take anti inflammatory tablets during a flare up. Do a 10 minute relation session twice a day and watch your posture . Good luck it will

Improve

• Posted

Thanks for the info! How do you typically get diagnosed? I have an apt with chiropractor next week, will he diagnose me? Thanks so much!
    • Posted

My gp said it was muscular skeletal bit my chiro said I had a classic case of Costo as she has seen it many times in patients
    • Posted

Yes you are right it's just that I have always been so active and travelled the world and now I feel my life is restricted to small movements so it doesn't flare up again. I have a good day then go for a small walk or bend funny and bang it comes back again. It moves around which does your head in

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.