Posted , 5 users are following.
My 16 year old daughter has had some troubling abdominal symptoms on and off since she was about 11 (but as a child she used to suffer awful indigestion).
Today, I took her to the GP to talk about her symptoms and follow up on blood tests done 2 weeks ago. We've found that my daughter has lost 3kg since the last appointment about 3 weeks ago and has a low B12 count. After explaining symptoms, the doctor immediately became quite concerned and my daughter's been given an urgent referral to gastroenterology. When discussing possible causes of the symptoms, Crohn's was mentioned. She seems sure that there is an upper gastrointestinal as this is where absorption takes place.
The symptoms my daughter has:
- Abdominal pain that will reduce her to tears (says she's never felt a pain like it & sometimes feels as though it's severe enough to go to A&E - she has a high pain tolerance!)
- Acid reflux/nausea occurs quite frequently.
- Diarrhea usually only accompanies the pain but can occur in between the flare of the pain.
- Mouth ulcers (these are constantly present and have been for 5 years)
- Tiredness, she says she never feels refreshed.
- Aching and extremely stiff/clicky joints - perhaps most concerning as whenever she moves a joint it clicks.
- Some bleeding although this is limited.
The 'flares' of severe pain and diarrhea however aren't long lasting - lasting about 2/3 days and occurring approx. every 2-3 months.
Although I know I can't get definitive answers from forums, is this typical of Crohn's? My knowledge of it is quite limited - quite scared about any tests she may have to have etc. so can only imagine how she feels!
Any advice appreciated
0 likes, 5 replies