Possible CRPS? Anyone else experienced this?

Posted , 4 users are following.

At 12 weeks I have had an appointment with consultant who has decided not to sign me off due to discolouration of the foot and what he suspects could be CRPS.  I have just looked at this and wondered if anyone else had experienced it.  He didn't seem overly concerned but I had been worried about the puce coloured foot I have in the mornings and afetr a busy day and my physio suggested I may have circulation issue as it did not like having pressure on it. 

My foot is generally stiff in the centre and turns out that the dimple cut I had was in fact a location of the tendon release which they told me I hadnt had at the last visit!, different registrar today!

anyway physio is my way forward apparently and I need to go back in 2 months for review. 

As as for toe movement there is no reason my big toe wshould not get full bend back as the staple is ahead of the joint (!) but he says to aim for 45-50 degrees which my physio is interested in as she will know how far to push it....eek!

they could very easily of signed me off at six weeks so glad I am still in the system but concerned and disappointed at possibility of this CRPS.. 😒

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Great that your consultant is keeping an eye and that you have not been 'signed off'. Might be being ignorant but what exactly is CRPS and what does this mean for your prognosis?
    • Posted

I didn't know either Karen but looked it up. It is complex regional pain syndrome. He was suggesting that more to do with the colour, circulation and stiffness I think and said severe sufferers could not even tolerate touching the foot so I think if I have it is is mild.  Physio is going to be important to my progress now apparently.  The area where the tendon released is also full of scar tissue and really sore to touch and I think I aggravate that when I walk so need to massage to try and reduce it.  
    • Posted

I guess so but the more I read the less convinced I am as I am not in constant pain. I may be predisposed and it is due to the trauma of surgery perhaps...

he did say he could be wrong and was trying to explain the discolouration of my foot more than anything.

• Posted

Well, at least he is keeping an eye on you which means whatever it turns out to be, then the outcome should be better. Best of luck 
  • Posted

Oh dear... Still concerned about my foot.  It is very stiff and solid and now that I am monitoring it it is generally a darker colour than my other foot all day. First thing it is very dark red/blue and then varies throughout the day. If I sit for a while when I get up again it is getting darker. Am exercising and trying to massage it and when I touch it it pales in the spot a touch.  Worries it is not normal for this stage. 12.5 weeks.  Off on holiday this week on a flight......is that ok?? Will wear my operation socks I think. anyone else got this discolouration at all?
    • Posted

Hi Sue. I hope your holiday is going well. It is back to Winter in the UK! I have some of the signs/symptoms that you mention (at 9.5 weeks) but I am not worried about them. My operated-on foot is always a bit darker than the other (though I haven't noticed it varying during the day). It is also slightly swollen and is warmer to the touch. My podiatrist says that circulation is increased here due to the operation. Presumably this helps healing. Apparently, this is the reason I have developed thick black hairs over the sites of my two osteotomies (scarf and akin on metatarsal and proximal phalanx bones) as well! When I press on it, it does pale. It also leaves an indentation for a few seconds which is just due to the swelling. I suppose your doctors and physios know what they are talking about but I thought the main symptom of Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome was pain so I'm sorry but I can't enlighten you there! It sounds like you are doing all the right things, i.e. massage and flight stockings. Is the whole of your foot stiff and solid or just the bits that have been operated on? My toe is certainly stiff, due to pre-existing arthritis apparently, but the rest of the foot is flexible as before the op! Enjoy your holiday!
    • Posted

Hi Nicola. Thanks for response. Holiday is fab but extra walking in trainers and heat are meaning the foot is aching. I am getting pain in the metatarsals just below my foot and foot all feels stiff. If I raise it up high the swelling drains slowly but otherwise it is red/pink and a bit swollen. I tried flip flops but as I now have a wide base to my big toe it was a bad idea and ached so went back to crocs and trainers. Flight was ok in special socks and I kept it moving as best I could.

i had the same black hairs on the toe and down the edge of my foot....weird!

• Posted

Back at physio yesterday and she is sure it is CRPS that I have and gave me an intensive physio massage for half and hour which was very painful but did feel like it had eased things afterwards.  Very important to continue with the hot and cold water therapy in the evenings and now I have massage exercises rather than raising on my toes as I was doing.  Hoping a sunny holiday will lift my mood.  Apparently I am just unlucky to have this and my big toe is stiffer than normal.
    • Posted

Now that you have the right exercise uses to do I hope that things start to improve. Sure that a sunshine holiday will help a lot. Always feel better with a bit of sunshine
    • Posted

Thanks Karen.  I am always anxious that it won't work out but physio lady was positive and seems determined to get me sorted which is great.  I start a new job when I get back and didn't anticipate I would still be so far from recovering so feeling a bit low about it.  Sunshine will lift my mood!
  • Posted

Have now been told it is not CRPS so that is reassuring. Foot is feeling much better Nd the physio I have for my hip thinks it is recovering well.  Would be nice to see the same people for everything but that is not how the nhs works!

pleased it is nothing to worry about though!

• Posted

Congratulations! CRPS is not a nice thing. May your recovery go well and thanks for bringing the nice weather over to us!
    • Posted

Thanks Nicola. The nice weather makes everything seem more positive doesn't it😎

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.