Possible Cushing's?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm a 28 year old female and I'm having some symptoms that are making me concerned. I have gained 50-60 lbs in the last 9 or so months and have recently noticed a "buffalo hump" on my back. I am also starting to grow more hair on my chin and neck. I've always been petite and have never been this heavy before in my life. I have been eating better and exercising but I still gain weight. My face us getting rounder and most of the weight gain seems to be in my face, neck, and trunk. I have a 16 month old, so everyone keeps telling me I just need to lose the baby weight. However, a few months after I gave birth I had lost the weight and then some. It just started shooting up somewhat recently. I'm also a lot bigger than I ever was while pregnant. I have always had very irregular periods and bad acne.

The appearance of the buffalo hump is making me think of Cushing's as a possibility. I made an appointment with my PCP for next Friday (3/16) to ask for a cortisol test. Any advice or insight from anyone?

Also, it may be unrelated but I have been having stomach pains since pregnancy that a doctor is thinking is my gallbladder. I'm having an endoscopy and colonoscopy done soon to rule out other causes and if those are normal then I'll be having my gallbladder out. But a nurse practitioner at the office I've been going to said it could be my pancreas and not my gallbladder?

Thanks.

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My saliva test came negative.  It is good thing and I am supposed to be happy but I am not. I need an explanation why these are happening. Let’s see what my doctor think after seeing the result. 
    • Posted

Hope your GP has something positive to say! I do understand that you will have mixed emotions but hang on in there!
  • Posted

Well, I got my results back too. Everything was normal, including cortisol. I understand how you feel, ebru, because I feel the same way.

I've been reading about testing for Cushing's and it seems like the test ran on me isn't preferred for diagnosing Cushing's. But my doctor doesn't want to do anymore testing.

• Posted

I am new to this panel..I was tested for Cushings by my Endocrinologist..I had a Saliva test done..24 he urine test..took the Dexamethasol pill at night then took the blood work..all came back Wonderful as my Endocrinologist put it..I have all the physical symptoms of Cushings..Expecially in my upper stomach..lots of swelling..gaining weight..round face..hair on upper lip..brittle hair..not sleeping..I can go on & on..but..endo says test were all good..I never had any X-rays or MRI or cat scan..Should I still preceed in finding out if I have Cushing..can the Endo be wrong even if my test I took cane out all wonderful as she put it

• Posted

Hi Deborah,  The symptoms you mention could also be Polycystic Ovaries and other hormonal problems.  Xrays are usually done to diagnose Cushings and an MRI scan would not necessarily should up any Pituitary tumours.  If there is doubt a petrosal sinus  examination is usually done.  If your Endo has said that all your tests came back "wonderful" then you do not have Cushings.  I do hope that you can get other tests done.  Did your Endo suggest anything else.?

• Posted

My doctor just sent me a message saying NORMAL.  It makes me feel hypochondriac. What should I do? Is one test enough to decide? Should I insist? I just took a photo of my hump and check my old photos to see how my face rounded to see if I am wrong or not. But it is still there. 
    • Posted

If I were you I would ask to see your GP again.  There is so much to learn about Cushings and the ways to test.  If you are his/her first suspected Cushings patient they may be reluctant to commit.  Make sure you have ALL your symptoms written down.  I was only diagnosed after many tests because I watched Doc Martin on TV and it said that 2 of the symptoms are excessive sweating and excessive hairiness.  I had not mentioned these to my Gp as I thought they were personal problems.  If you are really dissatisfied it is your right to ask for another opinion.  Good Luck.  Of course it may not be Cushings at all.  To just send you a message saying normal is not acceptable. Please let us know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.