Possible depression but not sure how to approach doctor

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

This is the first step to maybe accepting that I may be depressed/bipolar. Im not sure why but I find it difficult to talk to even my close friends or family in fear of them not understanding.

Im a 28 year old male with a good job, roof over my head and in a steady relationship for over 10 years. On the surface I have no reason to think I have an illness but for well over a year now maybe two I cant shake this uneasy, anxious feeling that looms over me then disappears in cycles.

Some days I feel good and have no issues. Life seems on the up then one day I can wake up with bad anxiety, irritability and general lack of energy for everyday tasks. I get knots in my stomach like im guilty of something when nothing has happened. I am usually quite thick skinned but when I am in this mood everything overwhelms me and I think the worlds against me and get upset over the smallest silliest things. I have also been told I have a short fuse and get angry really quickly. These feelings last for a few days then will subside. This has been going on for a while now.

I never really thought I had a problem and always to scared to go the doctors so this is the first time ive expressed myself to maybe get a better understanding from others who are feeling the same way.

I feel like I have so much more feelings and things to let go off in this post but maybe for now this is a good start.

Thanks for listening and any advice is appreciated.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mike is there a pattern to these episodes, eg extra stress at work? It does sound like anxiety and mind deoression but I'm no dr. If you go to your GP just tell s/he what's been happening and take it from there. It does seem strange that it comes and goes.

Neil 

• Posted

I cant really pinpoint a pattern. Just that some times they go and I feel positive again then some days it just sets off and I get the feelings mentioned above.

Ive felt like this for years now on and off. I feel like ive got years of anger and sadness just waiting to cry out of me but I just cant let go. Ive always been told by my gf that Im like a rock sometimes when it comes to emotions. Maybe I hold my emotions in too much and they are bursting to be released.

On another note when I felt like this 2 years ago I had been out drinking I got into a argument with a friend then when I got home I just burst out crying in a way I had never done in my life and I felt great after it. My I need to let go again! Ha

• Posted

First thing i would say is, none of your symptoms sound in any way like bipolar, so i would discount that.  Another, try to not self diagnose, theres nothing a Dr hates more than someone coming in who has convinced themselves they have specific issues - it makes a proper diagnosis a lot harder.  Seeing a dr is the easy, part, just tell them how things are - leaving out what you may think the issue is, be honest with them, dont embelish ever and they will do their best to help you
  • Posted

Hi Mike

I'm so sorry that you are experiencing this. Depression is awful and anxiety is pure hell.

I think a visit to your doctor is a very good place to start in dealing with your negative thoughts and emotions. If you find it difficult to get the words out, you could try writing it down (copy this post out if necessary) and ask your doctor to read it. I have done this in the past and my doctor was brilliant.

In the meantime, try to write stuff down, keep a mood diary. It may help to pinpoint if there is a pattern or certain triggers that can start the cycle.

It's very easy to let your mind run away with it and self diagnose. It's probably far to early to start thinking about bipolar and worrying about possible diagnoses can in itself be a trigger.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Mike

I would suggest it's not depression yet but that you perhaps could benefit from seeing an anxiety counsellor . Don't feel ashamed of speaking to Gp and perhaps when you book explain that you might need longer than 10 minute slot. But don't let this go I took early retirement and have finally started therapy to address my fears and insecurities . Good luck and never feel guilty that's what held me back approaching my Gp that and working within social work fixing everyone's problems but my own 

• Posted

Thanks all for your imput. Like I said ive barely scratched the surface in telling all my feelings but feel this is a good start. Maybe I need to take the next step and go see my gp to get a better understanding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.