Possible early stage RA?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am a 50 year old male. No special health issues.

About 2 months ago I started noticing finger joint pain. What was strange was that it started almost simultaneously in both hands. The pain varies from joint to joint but I would say that all middle (proximal?) joints of each hand have some level of pain. The strongest pain is in my left hand middle finger proximal joint.

The pain is not very bad and I can do almost anything, however I started getting a little concerned when at night the left hand middle finger joint started getting stiff. It happens now almost every night and by opening and closing the hand it releases. This is somewhat painful but not unbearable. In a few occasions one or both hands became numb. This too was eased rather quickly by opening and closing the hand.

When researching things, I started reading about RA.

I then went to my doctor who gave me a bunch of blood tests and an X-Ray. The X-Ray shows nothing. My RA factor is null. The only thing that did come up in the tests was that I had ANA positive with the following: ANA pattern: Nucleolus, ANA Titter: 1:160.

My doctor decided to send me to a rheumatologist. The rheumatologist saw the lab results, asked me questions about my symptoms (I gave the description above, and also mentioned some shoulder pain I have had for a few months), looked at my hands and said that all I have is cartilage degeneration. I asked whether the fact things started on both sides simultaneously and the ANA results cannot be early symptoms of RA, she said no and that this is normal with cartilage degeneration and that since the stiffness goes away quickly and I have no swelling it is not RA for certain. She sent me off with a recommendation to do some physiotherapy for my shoulder which she diagnosed as “Rotator Cuff Syndrome” and that was that.

So my concern is obviously that she may be misdiagnosing me. I obviously do not want to find out that I have RA, but at the same time if it is an early stage RA, better to start dealing with it now…

I plan to get a second opinion soon, but I would really appreciate anyone who has some insight or similar experience with what I described above.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had exactly the same symptoms.  That was many years ago.  Fingers on both hands.  I now know it was OA.  It has developed over the years as I did nothing to prevent it (if one CAN prevent it, that is)!

You are rather young to have cartilage degeneration (but there are many much younger)!

OA is very debilitating as one gets older, but I don't think it is as bad as RA.  Diet and excercise seem to be the things that control it most.  I don't exercise enough and suffer because of it.  Born lazy I suppose!😏

You are young, and at 50 excercise shouldn't be too much of a problem - even if it is only affecting your hands at the moment, don't ignor it.

Regards fr Constance

• Posted

Thanks for the tips! I have been geting back to excercising recently after almost a year's break.

Definitely not planning to ignore things.

• Posted

Have you had ESR (sed rate) and CRP blood tests done? You obviously have one shoulder that is suffering - is the other also sore/stiff? Have you any other bilateral stiffness, particularly in the morning but also after sitting for a short amount of time?

In the meantime, if she is saying you have frozen shoulder (rotator cuff syndrome is the posh name) - how about trying some Bowen therapy? It works for a lot of muscle problems but apparently is particularly good in frozen shoulder. 

• Posted

Thanks EileenH!

I am not sure I did a ESR test. 

The only resultt that was not normal was the ANA test.

The rheumatologist wrote: 

CREAT, LFT, CBC, TSH, RF. C3, C4:  all negetive

ENA, DNA: Negative

CRP Normal.

Only one shoulder is having issues, and it seems to be getting better over time, so not sure if it has any relation to the hand joint issues.

Have not noticed any bilateral stiffness. 

Thanks for the tip regarding Bowen therapy. I'll definitely look into it.

• Posted

Swelling and stiffness in joints that lasts more than 30 mins are classic signs of RA. So in that you haven t got those I would assume the rheumy is making the correct diagnosis.

• Posted

HI Dan - I had a similar experience. My hands got extremely painful. I tested negative for RA factor and was diagnosed as having tendonitis. Nothing showed up in the Xrays even though my knuckles looked like a row of small red mountains! It came and went over the years then finally blew up into RA bad enough to put me in hospital.

My point? RA is a tricky disease to diagnose especially in people who test negative for RA Factor. There is a new test called Anti CCP that picks up the 20% who test negative so that might be worth a look. It always helps to know what you're dealing with.

• Posted

But even +ve rheumatoid factor is not an accurate sign - a small percentage of people who are totally healthy have +ve RA factor (about 1 in 20). Anti-CCP is also only positive in about half of cases but when it is high, then it is very specific for RA. 

Rheumatic disease remains a conundrum - hence our problems too!

• Posted

I am surprised the x-ray showed nothing because I understood that cartilege degneration would show up on an x-ray and that would reveal the difference between OA and RA.

Cartilege degeneration is a sympton of OA, as far as I know. RA would show inflammation and sinovitus (and perhaps the cartilege degeneration after some years).

However you can be sero-negative and still have RA.

You are young for it under normal circumstances, but OA can be heredity and therefore can come early.

• Posted

I have RA in my wrists and right knee.  The blood results and swelling was used to diagnose it.  However my right shoulder kills me and that is plain old tendinitis.  I also was given a shot in the shoulder that helped a little and the rotator cuff/shoulder exercise.  I found a clavicle support that helps a little.  

Another friend said she has been taking tart cherry pills and thinks that helps her knee and shoulder.  Relatively cheap so next week I am going to try them.  $7.00 is all I will be out.  Good luck.  

• Posted

Hi Dan,

You say that the CRP and RF are normal. RF is Rheumatoid Factor. And CRP indicates how much inflammation is in your system so it is unlikely that you have RA. RA is much more systemic and there are plenty of other symptoms that come along with it such as extreme tiredness, loss of weight and night pain. You are the right age though for OA, where the cartilage can degenerate locally, especially if you have spent a lifetime using your hands. Rotator cuff problems also occur at your age and are usually caused by poor posture, loss of muscular condition and over loading the upper limbs. I agree with constance.de who says that diet and good quality exercise will keep the symptoms at bay. Physiotherapy for your shoulder should involve eccentric loading of the rotator cuff and posture exercises. I hope this helps. By the way my RF level was 300 at diagnosis.  

• Edited

Hi I see you posted this comment 5 years ago. I have very similar symptoms, and was wondering how things have gone for you since then. Was it definitively diagnosed as OA rather than RA? How have your symptoms been over the years?

I saw a rheumatologist about 6 weeks after my symptoms developed and he said he wasn't sure if it was RA. He didn't mention OA. He told me to monitor the symptoms and return to him if things change. That was a month ago, and things have been basically the same since then.

The only difference between my symptoms and those that you described are that I also have very slight pain in the outer tips of both elbows, and I haven't felt stiffness in any joints at all. The pain in the elbow and finger joints is unusual as it does not cover the entire joint, but is localised usually to just one specific point or one side of the joint.

• Posted

https://healthunlocked.com/pmrgcauk

Please come and join us on the PMRGCAuk charity forum at HealthUnlocked. Most of us have stopped using this forum as it is so cumbersome to use now. I can't remember seeing Dan for a long time anyway - but you'll get load of feedback at HU

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.