Possible endometriosis? Help

Posted , 2 users are following.

I started my period when i was around 14 and they always lasted around 7 days with the first couple of days having painful cramping. I went on the combined pill at around 15 and it shortened my periods and made them less painful. I'm 21 now and and still on the pill, over the recent years when i have the 7 day break my periods are just as painful as before and i've started to get a pain in my right hip one week before my 'period' or withdrawal bleed is due. It's also painful when i pass stool on the first couple of days, but my mum and sister both experience this and say its normal. But sometimes it's excruciating. I've told my doctor but he just seems to think its normal period pains...its the pain in my right hip that's worrying me the most, it's always around a week before and lasts around a day. Can anyone please advise?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bella, I am sorry to here what your experiencing. Unfortunately doctors are not always experienced enough in individual areas such as gynaecology to understand the random symptoms that something like endometriosis presents itself as. It took me 2-3 years of numerous invasive investigations that were not needed and lots of research to to tell my doctor I think I have endometriosis and I need a referral to a gynaecologist. Everything you describe is everything I go through monthly so I can relate and say its definitely possible you have endometriosis. You don't have to live with pain so you should ask your doctor to refer you to a gynaecologist because you have enough symptoms of endometriosis to investigate. I have had 1 surgery and Im on the list now waiting for my 2nd. One thing I will stress is that it is so important if you would like children to get this looked at sooner rather than later, endo can effect fertility which I'm now experiencing and wish I'd gone back to my doctor sooner. I hope this helps. Take care! X

• Posted

Hi Rachel, thanks so much for replying to my post! I'm getting onto my doctor today and not going to let him brush it off this time as i do definitely want children which is what worries me the most! Have you had any children after being diagnosed? X

• Posted

Update! Spoke to my gp and he referred me to a gyno, he said it may take around 2 months but its a start! So fingers crossed I can get to the bottom of this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.