Possible ETD Issues

Posted , 8 users are following.

About a month ago I had my second sinus infection and I haven't felt myself ever since. My ears feel clogged, neck tension, headaches, congestion, and I just feel out of it. I've been to 2 different ENT doctors and an allergist who both said that my sinuses are inflamed but nothing else is wrong. CT Scan showed inflammation in the sinuses but no fluid. I've tried so many things like nose sprays, decongestants, prednisone, neti pots, and antibiotics. Nothing seems to be fixing the issue and I just want to feel normal again. Are these all symptoms of ETD or am I just going crazy? sad

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have something similar and it could be Eustachian tube dysfunction. I had a cold in January if this year and my ears remain full and my left ear has not stopped ringing since. Although it's aggravating, it isn't as bad as in the beginning. And like you the ENT gave me all those meds and still nothing has put me back to 100%. The only hope I have is time and the wonderful supportive people on this discussion. I hope you feel better. But it seems there are no answers.

• Posted

I have something similar, as well, and fear it is ETD. In January I had a dental extraction that penitrated my sinus cavity and I wound up with bone from the tooth root in my sinus cavity, which is now blocking my right maxillary sinus. I'm due to have surgery on 6/16, but in the meantime I am experiencing ETD symptoms in my LEFT ear, but the blockage is on the right side. It's quite odd. I have a follow up appointment with my ENT this Thursday, but I'm a little concerned. The ringing/fullness started about a week ago when I was loudly calling my daughter to come inside for dinner. It's almost as if the force caused the issue, but since I know I have a blocked sinus, I'm inclined to think this could be the issue. Anyone with similar issue??

• Posted

Sadly, yes.  I suffer sinus really badly and it gives me neckache and my Occipitals bones get very tender too.  Eustachian Tube Dyfunction from sinus issues can go on for a very long time.

Was the course of Prednisolone long enough ?  I've just finished a 20 day reducing course.....shorter courses will not work for ETD.

Since finishing my course a month ago, I feel brilliant.  All the inflammation has gone and mucus all dried up too.  No doubt it will all build back up again sooner or later due to allergies and sinus issues, however to get all this relief, particularly from blocked ears is so great.

I continue to use Flixonase Aqueous Nasal spray and fingers crossed, so far so good.

Anne

• Posted

Thanks for responding! I just finished a course of 50 mg of prednisone for 5 days. It was a strong dose so they only wanted to do a short cycle of it. I felt better while taking it but prednisone is strong and makes my heartbeat much faster. I've been doing neti pot twice a day, Flonase sensamist, and tons of tea! I actually just ordered some bromelein online because I've read it's good for reducing the inflamed sinuses.

• Posted

Your post was a while ago but enzymes for inflammation must be taken 1 hour before eating on an empty stomach. For two weeks or more. Look at Wonbenzyme N. 😔

• Posted

These are symptoms of ETD Joevaz.There are variations how each of us feel with them & how we cope with them.Thankfully, I have no pain ,but my head feels as it is going to explode nearly all the time.The pressure is enormous though.Read my last paragraph of my last posting of a few days ago.IT's typed in capital letters.

• Posted

Ouch.  So sorry you got this.  The 5 day course of prednisone did not work for me either. I had it for 3 months and took all the advice given on these pages including how to use my nasal spray properly.  I have bee taking evening primrose oil daily in addition to all other recomended supplements and vitamins.  I went for a Reiki session and when she put her hands over my right ear I heard a popping noise.  3 days later my ears were clear.  Coincidence perhaps.  As soon as they cleared I received an appointment with an ENT!  Oh I was rubbing Vicks behind my ears too.

• Posted

I've had the ear issues since the first day of January.  I was also having neck pain/tension to the point of not being able to turn my head and getting spasms along my neck, headaches at the temple, pain all over my head and muscle spasms in my head.  My sinus CT was clear too.  

I was diagnosed with TMJ which is notorious for causing ear fullness, sinus problems, neck tension, headaches, spasms, head pain.  I was also diagnosed with a LOT of allergies from a skin scratch test.   My ENT, allergist and TMJ doctor worked together and decided my ear issues were due to TMJ and allergies.  So I am getting the TMJ treated and taking allergy shots.  My ears have greatly improved.  They aren't fixed but there is a huge difference.  They are at a point where I can live with it if it doesn't improve.  

Have you tried azelastine?  It's a prescription spray you use along with Flonase.  If you have allergies causing your sinuses to be inflamed I would recommend the azelastine, singulair, flonase and one of the allergy meds like claritin, allegra, zyrtec or xyzal.  The singulair cleared up my ears better than anything but unfortunately I got tremors which is a rare but serious side effect so I had to stop.  

BTW, Dymista is azelastine and flonase together in one spray as a prescription.  My ENT says he sees better results taking them separately though.  

• Posted

Hello Ann, I too suffer ETD and have for 40 yrs now.  I find that Flixonase Nasule Drops work wonders, along side my Citrizine antihistamine.

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.