Possible Gallbladder issues - all tests normal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm posting hoping someone has been in a similar situation and has found an answer to their health problems. Here's what I've been experiencing:

My issues began 5/30/2021. Went to the gym and ate an RX almond butter+egg white packet while running errands. About half an hour later started feeling bad and went home. Pain increased to 9/10, I felt feverish, nauseous, chills, and ended up puking/diarrhea. I assumed I'd had food poisoning.

The next two weeks I felt terrible. Exhausted, anytime I ate I'd get nausea/fever/chills/severe pain across my upper abdomen (like a band across). Only able to stomach applesauce, toast or broth. Felt very weak from small amount of food intake.

By the end of the second week I went to urgent care and had bloodwork and x-ray of my abdomen. All normal. Liver and pancreatic enzymes also normal.

I had an ultrasound a few days later - normal.

I had a HIDA scan this past Wednesday and i assumed my doctor would agree it was overactive at 87% but she said no its fine. I'm now supposed to go to a gastroenterologist next week hopefully.

After the HIDA scan I had diarrhea that continued until the next day with constant nausea.

Today was the first day I have felt "better", less weak. Had dinner that included some fried rice, chicken, and potato but then had terrible pain again for two hours about twenty minutes after eating. This was my first heavier meal in weeks.

I have been eating very low fat and still not many calories, tracking my food. The stomach pain is not always tied to eating a meal. Usually I wake up already with stomach pain 2/10.

Have been taking once daily Omeprazole for about 12 days now that doctor prescribed in case I have gastritis. I'm hoping the gastroenterologist will be able to give me a cause. Im a 34 F, healthy besides rough allergies (grass,trees,mold) no other health issues in general.

Please message if you've had a similar experience.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'll also mention I seem to have a lot of belching ever since these issues started. No heartburn or acid reflux even though my stomach feels very acidic.

• Edited

My experiences... I've had consistently no appetite with periods of nausea numerous times a day for over a year - ALMOST to the point of puking however I crossed that threshold about a month ago but just once. Obviously weight loss to the point I started smoking pot at night to try and stimulate my appetite. It "worked" but that's not a solution and I quit after a few months. Near constant bloating but NOT tied to anything I'd eat (as far as I know). In fact, drinking a glass of water would bloat me up when I'm in an active event. Small burps all the time... My poops swing from constipated to flat-out sprints to the toilet. No RUQ pain whatsoever with my pain being localized to upper middle left. Previous doc said I have non-symptomatic reflux (new one to me) however I am a hiatal hernia guy and HAVE had real reflux/GERD through the years. Occasionally I'll have bile wash into my mouth at night but it's rare. I eat a KETO diet meaning meats and clean fats but like I said, no apparent impacts from that. The occasional fast food fatty meal and the same - bloating but no pain.

Found new doctor after moving and we did the standard tests - ultrasound and a stomach motility test. Both completely normal. Then we did a HIDA scan and I came back at 15% which "thrilled" me as I thought we now have the smoking gun. PA referred me to surgeon (see him this coming week) for removal but she said 50/50 my symptoms resolve.

I'm concerned that there are no stones or sludge visible on the US but I was informed they could EASILY be there and not detected OR have something other physically with the GB (polyps, inflammation or worse) which gives me some ease.

Even with the 50/50 chance I'm going to have it out. And oh by the way - my Mom had her GB go bad when she was 70s, my uncle in his 80s has a GB going bad and my Niece who was 30 had the worst symptoms imaginable so I'm PRETTY sure my issues are easily connected by blood and HOPEFULLY by the HIDA scan.

I've had hip replacements, shoulder rebuilds, and real reflux so those are EASY to point to a problem and a solution. This has been much more nefarious especially with the "atypical" symptoms (I REALLY feel for those with the full suite of classic symptoms!) but I'm really looking forward to the removal and (fingers crossed) complete resolution of my issues!

Oh - 57 year old male in (what I think is) above average shape with no other "software" problems that I know of. My "hardware" (joints) problems are another issue!!!!!

Good luck with the journey!

• Posted

Hi - did you ever get any answers as to your symptoms? I am experiencing similar symptoms and around your age (33 F) and I have had all the tests done but everything keeps coming back normal. I hope you are feeling better. Keep us posted!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.