possible Gallstones diagnosis - Help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I went to A & E a couple of nights ago after having pain which seemed to be getting worse just under and to the side of my right rib.

I was thoroughly examined, blood tests, urine test, X-ray, ECG, etc, - I had no fever and I hadn't been sick or had any bowel problems particularly, although I have been a long time on and off IBS sufferer, and then I was told I'd be sent an appointment for an ultra-sound scan, as it might be my Gall bladder playing up and I may need to have it removed. I was then sent home with some strong pain killers.

I was quite shocked as I usually eat a very low fat diet. I am 56 soon and have gone through the menopause without much trouble - except some endocrinal issues and bad panic attacks for several months. I have also in the last six months or so developed some neuralgic type pain which I'm prescribed Gabapentin for.

The Dr I saw in A & E was asking me if I had eaten anything fatty the day before and I said - some cheese yesterday evening - but not very much, and he said that fatty things can trigger attacks of pain. The problem is that my pain is pretty constant - its not going away, and isn't particularly relieved by anything, - except not eating and staying very still!  Its pretty sore just with quite a light touch.

I did read that some people have gallbladder problems after losing quite alot of weight, and I did lose over a a stone and a half in about 9 months last year after getting some very upsetting family news - it seemed to just knock me for six. My BMI went from on the high side of Ok to being on the low side.

I've been somewhat better recently and just started applying for jobs and have just got a couple of interviews, and was thinking - Great - whole new me -  then Wham - this hits me! And now I'm in constant pain and can hardly leave the house.

Does anyone else with this condition - if it is Gallstones - have pretty constant pain, and have some idea how long it takes to get an ultra-sound scan appt, and if the diagnosis is confirmed - how long it takes to wait for an operation?

I'm just really fed up with all this - I don't make a good patient!

Any help greatly appreciated.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes losing weight, strangely, can be the start of problems for many.

Everyone seems to be different regarding pain and attacks. I didn’t have constant pain, but felt uncomfortable most of the time with horrible flare ups that went on for days sometimes, when the pain got unbearable. Once I got a diagnosis, I stuck to a very low fat diet. Like you, I already ate a pretty low fat diet anyway, but I avoided absolutely everything fried (so no takeaways), anything spicy and all baked goods except wholemeal bread. My advice is to eat like this and see if the pain settles. I wouldn’t say I was pain free eating that way, but attacks were less frequent and not so severe. Bananas, coffee, rice and plain toast are supposed to be good. I ate a lot of plain mashed and baked potatoes.

If you are in UK and NHS, everything happens very slowly. I was ill for several months before diagnosis and it took almost six months from diagnosis to surgery by which time I was desperate- very tired and uncomfortable. Private surgery happens quicker, but is very costly. I lost a lot of weight during this time. I was lucky in that I got a cancellation.  If you want a specific surgeon, it could take longer. It was a horrible journey and when I look back, I don’t know how I did it but I did and I’ve made a good recovery. I can eat most things now but still avoid fried foods and ice cream. 

I hope all goes well for you. 

• Posted

hi, my pain came on suddenly, was like a stabbing pain,was eating anything i wanted, no other problems i stuck with the pain hoping it would go away,  after 3 days,i couldnt even walk, the pain was terrible, i was rushed into hospital,following day gb removed, there was a large stone trapped,  keep on with your gp, to sort, hope goes well for you, terry
  • Posted

Hi Ursualu62, you have described the very same type of pain I have had for the past year at the least and it is debilitating. Last year I had an Acute Pancreatic Attack and my Dr. believes it was my Gallbladder that caused it. I am currently waiting for what is called a "HIDA" scan as it measures how the Gallbladder is operating. In the meantime, I too have to take the pain killers and also an anti nausea as this is what comes with the digestive issues when things go awry inside. The anti nausea med is called Ondansetron HCL 8mg and it works wonders if you have nausea with this going on with you so I would ask for it and ask for that "HIDA" scan. All the best to you and hope you get to feeling better soon!

• Posted

Hi Ursula.   I hope they will diagnose the problem quickly and remove your gallbladder as soon as possible because it isn't going to get better, regardless of what you eat.   I mean, you CAN make it worse by eating lots of fat and spicy foods but you usually CANNOT make it much better by avoiding those foods, once you are hurting like you are now.   It took them 3 years to diagnose and remove my gallbladder and I was pretty miserable most of that time...I live in the U.S. and don't know WHY it took them so long.   That was 15 years ago and I still have some pain but just today, had a scope and the Gastro doctor found lots of bile in my stomach, which he suctioned and I feel much better this evening.   He did biopsies and we will see where we got from here when he gets the results back.   Anyway, I think you need to get on the list to have yours removed as soon as possible...don't know how that works where you are but you will feel like a different person when the surgery is done.   It is an easy surgery if they do orthoscopic, where they don't cut you open...just make two holes and pull the gallbladder out.   I was back to work in 10 days.   Best wishes.   Keep after them to help you!

• Posted

did you removed your gallbladder for stones or low fucntion ? what symptoms you had before gb removal ?
  • Posted

I just posted my gallbladder story a few minutes ago . I'm one week out of surgery. When I was finally diagnosed on a Tuesday evening in the ER with gallbladder riddled with stones and infection , I was in surgery the next day. Take care. Prayers and well wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.