Possible gastritis or is it?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone,

For the past month or so I began experiencing really bad what felt like hunger pains. I would wake up in the morning and hit the exercise bike to reduce my stress for the day. Halfway through my routine I began getting really hungry. I didn't think much of it because I was use to going hours without food and being fine. Only an hour or two later I began having such bad hunger pains I thought that I was going to pass out. I ate something small and it all went away. Ever since that incident I would have hunger pains, gurgling, and belching every 2 hours of every day it seemed. No matter how much I ate it would return. I went to the docs and they ran a full panel of bloods. Tests came back normal ( diabetes, thyroid, liver, kidneys, heart and so on). My doctor said that I am healthy from what he can see. He told me I most likely have gastritis or a hernia. If I snack all day long it stays maintained but it won't go away. He prescribed 2 zantacs a day for two weeks with no spicy food. I do not drink alcohol but I do smoke. I stopped all coffee as well. I drink a lot of tea now. I do not have the common symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, or stabbing pains but I do have really bad hunger like pains at times. Does this sound like gastritis to anyone or does or has anyone had the same symptoms? If so what worked for you? I will be starting the Zantac today even though I hate medicine lol

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i have reflux and chronic inflammation, wish i got hunger pains i might eat more,  as far as i aware switching coffee for tea wont help much, anything with caffeine should be reduced or avoided as much as possible, herbal teas other than mints and green are good, avoid fizzy drinks and alcohol, spicey foods fatty foods, full fat milks cheeses citric fruit and vegetables, i recently learnt tomatoes are on the off list so out goes my pasta dishes,  i did try the low carb diet and felt better but it made me lose weight i didnt want to lose, im trying to gain weight lost over the last 2 years. i am still waiting on more test and a diagnosis of what is actually going on and what can be done. incidently i recently read about low acid and found that chewing gum apparantly helped as your stomach prepares for food to come so it can digest it, i switched from peppermint to spearmint as i found my irritation increased but now know spearmint is included in the dont have list, i been tested negative twice for h pylori and i have low zinc which they think may be why i dont feel hungry

• Posted

I have often wondered about the low acid instead of too much. I am just not sure how to test for that. Obviously going to the doctors and dumping more money could eventually prove useful but if I can figure this out on my own......Allison your condition sounds a lot like mine. Have to eat in between meals or I will get nauseous, slight headache at times, heart palps on occasion, and hunger pain gurgling ugh. And yes I have been to the doctors about this a couple times and he contributes it to stress and diet primarily. Everything that needs to be cut out is everything that I love lol. Haven't had pizza, coffee. Spicy foods, ice cream, pineapple or much of anything I like in the last 2 weeks. I gave up drinking 9 years ago so alcohol is one less problem to worry about. Allison I also have heard of Allen Carrs quit smoking books. Does it really help out a lot?

• Posted

Morning! I haven't actually had to cut any major food groups out of my diet but having said that I don't really enjoy spicy food much anyway, I am eating foods rich in nutrients, like salmon, eggs, brown rice, avocados, nuts etc. I barely touch alcohol either. 

I talked to my doctor about the low stomach acid theory and he was very receptive, although obviously nothing can be diagnosed officially without an endoscopy. I only know that protein pump inhibitor drugs (that turn the acid off) are prescribed very regularly and they can be hard to get off. You've only got to look on the Omeprazole threads on here. I feel better without them, yes I still get the odd day when I am not 100% but with IBS as well it's hard to pinpoint exactly why, each time!

The Allan Carr book is fantastic, best £10 investment, I got to the last page and I haven't touched one since. I can't bear the smell anymore, and when someone walks in my office I can tell straight off if they smoke. I appreciate that's another battle though, maybe doc is right, one thing at a time!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.