Possible globus but worried I have something worse?

Posted , 7 users are following.

6 weeks ago I started getting a lump feeling while swallowing (can eat and drink just fine) and doctor gave me pills to treat GERD. Wasn't helping so she referred me to an ENT doctor. The appointment is next week. I was told it could be globus.... does it sound like it?

But I've noticed one of my left tonsil is a strange shape, kinda flat on one side(is this normal) and I've been getting a tooth and ear ache to go along with it all.

The anxiety is killing me. I feel like it may be making it worse but I can't stop worrying

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Try not to worry. Most people think the very worst.Usually the doctor tries the antacid approach first. In my case antacid treatment made no difference and doctor put me on anti anxiety medication which took symptoms away 99%. Its good that you have no problem swallowing. The visit to ENT doctor next week will reassure you. Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just wait and see what the ent dr has to say. The anxiety i get every day is a nightmare though.

• Posted

I know. Try and keep busy. I find chewing gum very helpful and

• Posted

Hi, so my battle with all this started the day after Christmas 12/26/17 and as of today I still have this crazy lump in my throat feeling. My ent started backwards in my opinion first he blamed reflux which i had no symtoms of put me on meds of course they didn’t help, next he went straight to an mri this was supp to last 30 min and it got cut short at around 12 min cause they noticed a metal artifact in my head I didn’t know existed (it was a BB) been there since a child im assuming. What results he did get he said they looked normal. Next they had me do an endoscopy and they cut like 3 pieces to biopsy down In my stomach which was dumb cause I felt like it’s not the issue the issue is my throat. Once again results came back normal. Yes, by this time I am frustrated. I begged my doctor please just look directly in my throat, he sent me for an ultrasound and then I went to have a laryngoscopy done which is awful by the way but I didn’t care I wanted answers. You can prob notice a pattern these two tests were normal too!!! How can a person feel this sensation and lump yet nothing helps or shows up. My last ent and test she told me to start relaxing my neck muscles cause it has a lot to do with the throat, she recommended speech therapy, certain exercises and a hot neck wrap like 3-4 times a day. Another issue I noticed are tonsil stones which I just started getting with all this the symptoms seem sooooo much like globus so I’m wondering is this my issue?!? She told me a tonsillectomy as an adult sucks and yes it could prevent stones some but she couldn’t guarantee the sensation would go away. I have the most horrible feeling under my chin like it gets so tight some days. I feel like I did it all now I’m living with this daily praying it’s not one little thing they missed. Sorry so long but that’s my journey and this stuff is no joke! Hope you find relief quicker than me if so please share!

• Posted

I so sympathize with you. Very glad all your results were good.Its a horrible condition but at least not life threatening or painful. Anti anxiety medication took mine 99% away and I never thought that would happen to me.Doctor said you can have deep down anxiety and not even realize it. Chewing gum helps,exercises and maybe a neck massager. Hope things get better for you. Keep in this group. It helps.

• Posted

Thanks to everyone on here who shares their stories, i totally agree hearing these things from people who deal with this on a daily basis does help. I wish the best to us all, i agree though keeping busy does seem to help and i started using a hot neck wrap about 3 times a day to relax my muscles. I felt alone at first and ask why me cause one day im fine the next im not but finding these boards help me realize im not alone and this is more common than we think. Hang in there!

• Posted

Red, Globus is a hard malady to diagnose. Doctors, ENTs etc. don't really know what it is so it's a frustrating condition to have. Good news is that if tests find nothing dangerous during exams and it points to Globus, don't worry too much about it. It does cause anxiety which seems to aggravate the condition. However, it will bother you less and less as your mind and body get used to it and your stress level goes down. It can also go away completely. Relax if you can and let your body adjust. I know personally that it does get better with time. A request: Can you indicate exactly or approximately where the "lump" feeing is located by finding a location on your neck? I am curious to see if it's like mine. Thanks and best wishes. Pat.

• Posted

It's around my adams apple. Normally just above but sometimes just below. Most of the time I feel like something is caught at the back of the throat/mouth.

• Posted

If you have a tooth infection it maybe the cause. I went to the ENT It took me 8 months to see him. If you smoke...quit. If your over weight lose some weight. Sleep with your head elevated. If you have a bad tooth get it removed. Use a humidifier if the air is dry and keep using the Pantoprazol. Thats what he told me without using a scope down my throat. Prior I seen a doctor who prescribed me medication TEVA CLINDAMYCIN which was working and gave me another prescription that by the time I went to my ENT all of my symptoms had subsided drastically. So take it for whatever it is. My symptoms was globus feeling, hurt when swallowing but not with food, sharp pain that went from left to right to middle if throat to voice box to back to left side depending on the day. I had it really bad for 7 months till a doctor actually gave me something that worked instead of assuming it was GERD like the last 3 and ENT.

• Posted

Hi

There's nothing to worry much. I myself went through all these . I know feeling is worse and anxiety is killing. I went through many doctors. Ent did endoscopy . Everything was normal. He gave antacids and omiperizol. He said its just acid reflux. Trust me I hardly took medicine for 4-5 days but when I stopped thinking and was having assurance that everything is normal then literally my problem went away. I have suffered for 5 months and cried . With me whole family suffered . Checking on google leads to cancer. This portal helped me a lot. After reading all d stories here I stopped thinking. Now also problem comes back but I dont think much. Just see your ent but I can guarantee that nothing to worry.

Take care n relax

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, Ana. Relaxing is harder than it sounds. Last weekend was beautiful. It seemed to go away completely and I was so happy then it returned Monday morning and I was devastated.

• Posted

After the weekend my anxiety got worse . Found myself checking my mouth and back of throat in mirror with torch. Have red patches there.

• Posted

Exactly same were the symptoms with red patches n white also. Roof of mouth yellowish. But its all normal ... don't worry

• Posted

Okay. Now I'm really freaking out. Felt some strange sensations around my tongue so checked it in the mirror. Large swollen lump on the right side of my tongue. .Why is this happening to me 😢

• Posted

Hey guys. thank you all for your replies and helping me calm down a little. I have been told I have globus Pharyngus( don't know if that's the right spelling).

It's feeling better now that I've not got so much anxiety

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.