Possible Hemochromatosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

Just hoping to seek some advice in regards to recent blood tests that have shown elevated Iron and Transferring Saturation. The two tests were taken only days apart, by two different labs. I'm not sure if its normal to expect that kind of fluctuation within days?

I had one Hereditary Hemochromatosis variant detected, the C282Y variant in the HFE gene, from a 23 & Me genetic test, but as I understand that means that I'm unlikely to have it.

I suffer from a lot of unexplained fatigue, very unrefreshing sleep, frequent urination, sweating, which I've seen others report with diagnosed Hemochromatosis. No logical explantion for these symptoms as I look after myself, eat very well and exercise regularly. I am Age 30. Have never taken any Iron supplements.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Test 1

Transferrin saturation index: 61%

Serum ferritin: 220 ug/l

Serum iron level: 33.8 umol/L

Test 2

Transferrin saturation index: 43%

Serum ferritin: 233 ug/l

Serum iron level: 26.2 umol/L

Some historic tests from last three years

Serum ferritin: 253 ug/l

Serum iron level: 38.21 umol/L

Transferrin saturation index: 71.35%

Serum ferritin: 311 ug/l

Serum iron level: 36.86 umol/L

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

My grandmother had Hemochromatosis and underwent long term treatment for it. When I did my dna test I happened to find out that I carried a gene for it but it takes both parents I have been told to actually develop the disease. All my kids are carriers of this gene but their father wasn't so it is my understanding that none of us can get it so in your case I would think that any issues are unrelated to the condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.